Monday, December 17, 2012

Catch Me a Cowboy by Katie Lane

Title:  Catch Me a Cowboy
Author: Katie Lane
My Rating: A


Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Deep in the Heart of Texas #3
Main Characters: Shirlene and Billy
Release Date: April 2012
ISBN: 978-1455508150

Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
Shirlene Dalton has it all: a dream marriage to a man who spoils her rotten and the most outrageous mansion Bramble, Texas, has ever seen. But when her husband unexpectedly dies, Shirlene finds herself right back where she started-in a rundown trailer on the wrong side of the tracks. Never the type to let a little bad luck and a whole heap of heartache get her down, Shirlene is ready to prove to the local gossips she can make it on her own . . . until she ends up living next door to the most tempting cowboy in town.

Billy Wilkes has a score to settle and a plan to wipe Bramble right off the map. But when his sexy, redheaded neighbor figures out what he's up to, his good ol' boy charm won't be enough to save him. With the town on his tail, Billy will have to come clean quick-or kiss Shirlene goodbye.

My Review: 
I love Katie's little town of Bramble. Seriously, I laugh out loud constantly while reading these books and this one with Bubba's (aka: Billy) exploits had me rolling! (By the way, I am from West Texas and it should be noted that we really aren't this bad of hicks....I swear!)

This book features Shirlene. I'll admit, she hasn't been my favorite character of the series, but I bawled my eyes out when her husband died in book #2. In this book, we see a very different Shirlene than the rich trophy wife that we've known so far.  The months since her husband's sudden death haven't been kind. What I love about her character is that she's truly a positive person. Not much gets her down which is pretty amazing considering her awful background. In this book, she's in the process of losing everything, but she has someone else to focus on...four kids who need some help. OMG, I loved what the kids added to this story. They add so much depth and emotion to the story for both Shirlene and Billy who quickly find themselves caring and loving these 4 kids from age 11 months to 16 years.

Bubba/Billy is beloved by this little town. He may be from East Texas, but they have embraced him as one of their own. And when this town accepts you as one of their's, they will take care of you any way possible. Another thing I love about these books....the town of Bramble seriously is its own character.

Flat out, this was simply a fun book to read. The humor is irreverent and in-your-face with west Texas stereotypes, but I really just loved it. For me, it never becomes too much. I loved Shirlene and loved watching her growth as a person in this book. I loved Billy especially after realizing how much of Bubba is just an act he's putting on for the benefit of the town. There's an underlying mystery to the book too (about one of Billy's ancestors who was murdered in the town of Bramble in the late 1800's which has left the Cate family cursed), that I don't think is quite played out yet. It will be interesting to see how that goes with Billy's two brothers...can I say that I already love Beau with his prematurely grey hair... *sigh*

I definitely recommend this series! I love it and not just because it features all the towns and traditions (football, oil) from West Texas where I grew up....Midland, Odessa, Lubbock.

No comments: