Saturday, October 27, 2012

Pursuing the Times by Lauren Baratz-Logsted



Title: Pursuing the Times 
Author: Lauren Baratz-Logsted
My Rating: A


Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: -
Main Characters: Mercury
Release Date: August 2012
ISBN: ebook
Publisher: TKA Distribution
Links to Purchase:
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
All that popular Chick-Lit author Mercury Lauren wants is to have one of her books reviewed by the New York Times Book Review - just one - and she'll do almost anything to get it. In this contemporary romantic comedy, with a nod toward Pride and Prejudice she crosses swords and hearts with the Editor-in-Chief of the NYTBR in a madcap adventure that takes her from her home in Westport to a yoga retreat to a golf course in Florida. Will she get what she wants and will she finally be happy if she does? Only one thing's for certain: nothing will stop her from Pursuing the Times.

My Review:
I would be hard-pressed to tell you the last time I laughed out loud as much as I did throughout this book. This book is so good and so funny and so entertaining. I honestly loved every minute of reading it.

Mercury, flat-out, is crazy. She's an author, so part of that is just the norm for her, but she is obsessed with getting her Chick lit books reviewed by the New York Times. Standing in her way is Editor-in-Chief of Reviews, Frank. Unfortunately, Mercury had a run-in with Frank and didn't realize who he was, but just knew he was bad-mouthing her and her genre, so she took offense and pushed back...rather rudely. LOL!! I love the scenes between the two of them. Their confrontational chemistry is sizzling and you can definitely tell that there's some sexual chemistry added to the mix too.

But back to the crazy part. When I say Mercury is obsessed, it's a very real thing. This girl needs to locate her filter, but then the book wouldn't be near as fun as it is. There are some great side characters in this book too. I loved Nick. He's a literary best-seller...the kind of writer the NYT loves to feature. Unfortunately, he's also just a really nice guy too so Mercury can't hate him although she'd really like to. But they end up as friends and that friendship is a really sweet aspect of this book.

This is just a fabulous book. As both a romance reader and author, there was so much about it that I could relate to. Mercury is fighting a mindset that the literary world has about Chick-lit and that it's not good writing. She writes comedic, light-hearted books with a touch of romance. Just because they're light-hearted does not mean that they aren't good writing. Shakespeare wrote comedies about the human condition. That's what she's doing too, but since being labeled as "chick-lit", the validity of her writing has been shunned...even by her family.

Like I said before, I was constantly laughing out loud and reading passages from the book to my husband. Even he commented about how much I was loving this book, so yes...I really did love it. Below is one of the passages that I read to him. I think it will give you a good idea of the flavor of the writing...so much fun!

"Of course, the moment after being cheered up by seeing my books on the shelves -- I was a published author! I was still a published author! -- I always immediately grew depressed. Why were the books on the shelves? Shouldn't they be sold out? And if not sold out, then shouldn't there be an eye-catching display, perhaps a pyramid of them, right at the front of the store?"

Mercury is definitely a different character, but she was one that I absolutely fell in love with. She's human...and making very human mistakes. Yes, she's slightly crazy and there are things that she does that make you cringe, but in the end you can't help but laugh at her antics. I highly recommend this book if you are looking for something to make you laugh this week!!

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: