Thursday, October 18, 2012

Love Unscripted by Tina Reber


Title: Love Unscripted
Author: Tina Reber
My Rating: B+



Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Love #1
Main Characters: Ryan and Taryn
Release Date: September 2012
ISBN: ebook
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Atria
Links to Purchase:
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: hot


Story Overview:
An A-List Movie Star…
Ryan Christensen just wanted to be an actor. Never in his wildest dreams did he imagine a life where fans would chase him, paparazzi would stalk him, and Hollywood studios would want to own him. While filming in Seaport, Rhode Island, Ryan ducks into a neighborhood bar for a quick escape from legions of screaming fans…and finds much more than he expected.
A Small Town Girl…
Nursing a recent heartbreak, Taryn Mitchell believes men are best kept at a safe distance. But when Ryan Christensen unexpectedly bursts through the front door of her pub, she can’t help but be drawn in by his humor, charm, and undeniable good looks. At six foot two, with dirty blond hair, blue eyes, and an incredible body, Ryan has every girl in Seaport swooning. But Taryn isn’t every other girl.
A Relationship that Doesn’t Follow the Script…
Despite her better judgment, Taryn soon finds herself falling hard for Ryan. But is their bond strong enough to survive the tabloid headlines, the relentless paparazzi, and the jealous fans who seem determined to tear them apart?


My Review:

Quite honestly, this was a book that I had to force myself to put down because it was so good and the story so engrossing. I'm not usually a huge fan of movie stars as hero/heroines because I have the same attitude as the heroine in this book...I just don't see the allure of autographs and all the hype that goes with being famous....just because that person happens to be famous. They are still normal people. 

In this book, Ryan is the famous actor. He's hit it HUGE in a Twilight-like movie and is new to all the craziness that comes with his fame. After being pursued by crazed fans, he escapes into Taryn's bar (which is closed because it's morning) and proceeds to have a panic attack. She just feels sorry for this guy so she tries to leave him alone and then once he's calmed down, she works to settle his nerves. This leads to a friendship and then eventually to romance.

I loved the way that their romance developed. Taryn is really not so sure about getting involved with this guy, although she's really attracted to him, but the fame is a real turn-off for her. As a result, their romance develops very slowly. I loved that and their natural chemistry. As a reader, I was so pulled in by their connection...it seems that they are destined to be and I believed in them...at first.

If the main conflict between the hero and heroine in this book had been resolved at the 60% point in this book, I would have easily given it an A or A+ rating. At that point, I was in love with these characters, their story, and still had faith in the infallibility of their love, although they were still having problems. The problem is....the author let those problems go on, over and over, again and again, for another 35% of the book which covered HUGE chunks of time within the story and then resolved all these huge mammoth issues with a measly few pages at the very end...which felt like lip service to an overwhelming relationship problem. 

I felt like the romance conflict was tied up with a little band-aid to cover this huge gaping wound and it was not a good resolution for me. For me, their problems were too big for the few words that came at the end. I needed to see MORE to believe that this was really going to last...because all those problems that they'd been having were still out there. The fact of the matter was that things were ALWAYS good for these two while they were within the confines of Taryn's bar...it was when they were forced other places that things turned sour. So giving me a resolution within that same bar just wasn't believable to me. I didn't have the faith that this time it was going to last...and that makes me sad, because this book was so good for so much of the reading of it.

That doesn't change the fact though that I adored this book. It was such a good and entertaining read. It just could have been so much MORE (I'm talking top reads of the year list) if the author had just handled the ending a little bit better (and this is COMPLETELY the subjective part of this review, because I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who had no problem with the ending.) I still am torn though and am debating going out to buy a print copy of the book for my keeper shelf...always a good sign that I liked the book. There was just so much incredibly chemistry and friendship between these two...I loved them!

So how's that for a completely wishy-washy review?!? 

****Okay, now I've written this whole review to see that there's a second book?!? *ack* I reserve the right to go back and change this after I've read the next book....hehe!****

I received a complementary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

1 comment:

Ashley Montgomery said...

Thanks for an honest review. The synopsis sounds good and although I'm unsure of it because of the ending, I'm still willing to give it a try.