Friday, October 26, 2012

Gleams of a Remoter World by Fiona Glass


Title: Gleams of a Remoter World 
Author: Fiona Glass
My RatingC+


Genre: Paranormal Romance (m/m)
Series: -
Main Characters: Chris

Release Date: October 2012

ISBN: 9781937551766

Publisher: Riptide Publishing
Links to Purchase:
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: mild


Story Overview:
Paranormal journalists Chris Mullins and Jo Perry are sent to Ireland's remote west coast to investigate tales of hauntings at a ruined church. Chris, who has an inbuilt sensor for ghosts, is drawn to the old priest’s house next door, where he faces an otherworldly encounter so strong it leaves him reeling. Their research leads to a tangled web of forbidden love, family rows, and even, possibly, murder.
Chris jumps at the chance not only to solve the mystery, but also to aim for the coveted Moondust Award, a prize for the first journalist who proves that ghosts exist. Jo, though, is less enthusiastic, both about the award and her on-off relationship with Chris. Things become even more confused when Chris finds himself falling for Paulie, one half of a gay couple on holiday in the same village.
Only the wild, haunted landscape of Ireland can give Chris the answers he so craves, but to find them, he may have to choose between the Moondust Award and the matters of his heart.

My Review:

I wasn’t quite sure what to expect from this book. It definitely doesn’t fall under my normal reading fare. If you are looking for a creepy ghost story with a bit of suspense, a dash of romance, and a HUGE splash of gorgeous Ireland landscape and ambiance, then this is the book for you.

Chris and Jo work for a paranormal magazine as partners. They are partners at work, roommates at home, and have an on-again, off-again sexual relationship. I never did understand Jo except for the fact that I didn’t like her. To me, she just seemed to be a hormonal witch through most of the book. I didn’t get her character. I just hope that we weren’t supposed to like her because I definitely didn’t. On the other hand, I loved Chris. Chris is bi-sexual and definitely has feelings for Jo, but he was always on eggshells around her which I hated. No relationship should have to work like that.

They go to Ireland to investigate some paranormal activity. Chris is very paranormal sensitive and immediately knows this is a good lead. It’s a lead that takes them back to the early 1900’s to the mysterious death of an Irish soldier and the love affair between the local clergy and doctor. Throughout the entire book, you follow Chris as he’s investigating what actually happened here.

When they are in Ireland, they meet gay couple Bill and Paulie. Chris is immediately attracted to Paulie and envious of the easy relationship between the two men. It draws in sharp contrast to the confrontational one between him and Jo. But all isn’t perfect in Bill & Paulie’s world either.

This is a fairly slow-moving book and probably my favorite thing about it was the glorious images of Ireland it brought out. We lived in England for 2 years and it was fun to step into that lifestyle again…the Pub’s, markets, and even the Post Office…it’s all so different there than it is in the US. It was fun to revisit via a book. The ghost story is completely creepy and mysterious and I liked the nigglings of romance between Paulie and Chris (although they are both involved with other people and have other commitments that keep them apart). I liked the ending and the way that everything was tied up. It was an interesting read.


I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

3 comments:

paperbackdaydreamer.com said...

Great review Christi!! :-) For some reason I feel like you had told me that you had lived in England for 2 years, but I can't remember that off the top of my head. I'm so jealous about that!!! Lucky. :-D

booklover0226 said...

What an entertaining interview; I enjoyed it. I look forward in reading your works.

Thanks,
Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

Cameron Lawton said...

Smashing interview and if it's Ireland I'm in for this book. I so agree about undercover policemen having to break the law - even my military police characters bend it sometimes. Best of luck with this Fiona