Friday, October 26, 2012

Celebrating Riptide's 1st Anniversary w/ Fiona Glass


Thanks for joining us on the Riptide Publishing First Anniversary Blog Hop Bash! All month long, we’re bringing you guest posts and interviews from your favorite authors, artists, and Riptide staff. As a thank you for helping us celebrate, we’re also giving away $10 in Riptide store credit to one lucky commenter at every stop! Simply leave a comment below by 11:59pm on Sunday, October 28th to enter. Be sure to check out our complete tour schedule to find out where else you can enter to win—one Grand Prize winner drawn from commenters at all the stops will also win a Kindle that we’ll load with every book we publish in 2013!



Plus, check out our anniversary sale—All October long, backlist titles are 15%-50% off!
Today we have an interview with Fiona Glass, author of Necessity’s Door and Riptide’s newest release, Gleams of a Remoter World.


Hi, Fiona! Gleams of a Remoter World, your newest release from Riptide, has a gorgeous setting. What inspires you? 
Scenery.  I quite often get ideas for books and stories from the landscape - 'Roses in December' was based on the beautiful but unusual garden at Biddulph Grange in Staffordshire, and my forthcoming novel 'Gleams of a Remoter World' was inspired by a holiday on the remote west coast of Ireland.

Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination? 
The overall characters are from my imagination but the mannerisms that help to bring them to life are often based on real people.

If you could meet any of your characters in real life, who would it be and why?
Some of the characters in my darker stories - the crime and noir titles - are so scary I'd prefer not to meet them, especially down a dark alley in the middle of the night!

Where do you get the names for your characters? 
I have various sources including a dictionary of names, online lists etc, but I also get some from real life - especially anything unusual or funny.

How did you celebrate the sale of your first book?
By running around the room screaming!

What music do you write best to? 
The music of rain drumming on the roof tiles, or birdsong, or wind sighing through the leaves, or pure silence.

Do you think LGBTQ romance is growing in popularity? 
I think it's becoming more open/mainstream, but I think behind the scenes it has been popular for a very long time, and that fact is only slowly being understood by mainstream publishers and the media.  I've lost count of the number of newspaper or magazine articles I've read where the journalist has claimed to have just 'discovered' m/m fiction, for instance, when those of us in the know realise it's been around for years.

What would you tell a reader reluctant to read erotica?
I would have the courtesy to let them make up their own mind.  I would never try to insist on anyone reading something they're genuinely uncomfortable with.

What is the most interesting thing you have learned from your research? 
That undercover police officers really do have to break the law from time to time to avoid blowing their cover.  It may sound unlikely but I've read any number of reports of genuine cases where it's happened, even in the sex trade.  It's why I wrote 'Necessity's Door', because it's something I found so fascinating.

If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
The power to instantly translate the thoughts that are all muddled up in my mind into perfect prose on the page, without having to type it all out first!

What made you publish with Riptide? 
Nothing 'made' me publish with them, but I was lucky enough to answer one of their calls for submissions with a story which happened to fit the bill, and even luckier that they liked it!  The rest is history.

Can you believe Riptide is one year old already?
Not really, no.  They were already so professional when I joined the team that I assumed they'd been about for several years.

Which of your book covers is your favorite? Who designed that cover?
Probably a tie between the cover for 'Roses in December' which was designed by the Torquere Press art team, and L.C. Chase's gorgeous artwork for 'Necessity's Door' 

What have you liked best about working with Riptide?
Their sheer professionalism and their sympathetic approach to authors who aren't from the United States.

Where do you think Riptide will be in another year?
If they keep going at their current rate I firmly believe they will be one of the major players in the gltb romance market.

How can readers connect with you? Do you have a blog?
I have both a blog and a website, both of which are updated fairly regularly and both of which my readers are more than welcome to drop into at any time.  My website is at www.fiona-glass.com and my blog is http://fionaglass.blogspot.com.  I also have my own yahoo group where I share bits of news.  It's called Pane in the Glass and you can find it at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pane_in_the_Glass/.
Fiona writes gritty yet darkly humorous fiction, often involving gay characters and almost always with a twist in the tail. Her work has been published in anthologies from the likes of Byker Books, Pill Hill Press, and QueeredFiction; as well as in magazines and online at sites such as The Pygmy Giant, Shotgun Honey, and Velvet Mafia. 

Bio: Fiona currently splits her life between a pointy Victorian house in Birmingham (the original one in the UK) and a slate cottage within stone-throwing distance of England’s largest lake. She shuttles between the two so often it makes her head spin, which might explain the rather breathless style of her writing, but she hopes to be settled in Cumbria by the end of the year. 
You can find examples of Fiona’s work, as well as details of all her books and stories, at her website: www.fiona-glass.com

12 comments:

pointycat said...

Really interesting interview - thank you - I love hearing more about how ideas become books and knowing a little more about the authors whose books I read :)

ad0ffae6-78f6-11e1-8cde-000bcdcb5194 said...

Love the interview, and I'm looking forward to the book!

vitajex(at)aol(dot)com

Melora said...

Thank you for sharing. I enjoy getting a peek at the behind the scenes things that make an author tick.

melora.derryth(at)gmail(dot)com

Juliana said...

Congrats on your release! Thanks for the interview! I'm glad you had a good experience with Riptide!
OceanAkers @ aol.com

Urb said...

Thanks for allowing readers to have a glimpse of your creative process with this tour. I simply must read this book! Many thanks!

brendurbanist AT gmail DOT com

Michelle said...

Thank you...interesting interview. Please count me in, chellebee66(at)gmail(dot)com

Jyl22075 said...

Thanks for a great interview!

Jyl22075 at gmail dot com

Sue Adams said...

Fascinating book...

Sue
corieltauviqueen(at)yahoo.co.uk

June M. said...

Thanks so much for introducing me to a new for me author. I will have to check out Ms. Glass' books.
June
manning_J2004 at yahoo dot com

Shawny Jean said...

Interesting interview and fun giveaway. Can't believe Riptide is only celebrating it's 1st anniversary. What a big year!

Loveless3173 said...

congrats again on this new release, heh, I rather like the cover for Necessity's Door too. xD
Really liked the interview. :D

Judi
arella3173_loveless@yahoo(dot)com

M-C. Houle said...

Nice to meet you FIona. Great interview... I just love the design of your blog... Awesome!
MC
contact at mchoule dot com