Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Taking Shots by Toni Aleo

Title: Taking Shots

Author: Toni Aleo

My Rating: A


Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Assassins #1
Main Characters: Shea and Elli
Release Date: January 2012
Publisher: -
ISBN: e-book

Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot


Story Overview:

Elli Fisher has never thought she was good enough. Let it be her job, her weight, her love life, nothing, she was convinced she couldn’t do anything right. She had walked through life for the past six years in a daze, never thinking that life could be good again after the abuse she endured from her ex boyfriend. She is lonely, sad, and depressed, that is until she meets Shea Adler. After doing a promotional shoot for the NHL team, the Nashville Assassins, she meets the hunky hockey player who shoots a puck, shattering her world.

Shea Adler was tired of the life he was living outside of the rink. The girls, the money blowing, the drinking, everything had to stop and it all did when he met Eleanor Fisher. He had never met anyone like her. She is feisty, witty, shy, and simply gorgeous. When he laid eyes on her, it was as if he was taking the hardest hit of his life into the boards, and he had to have her. 


Elli is a little skeptical of Shea, but he knows that they were meant to be together, and he needed her in his life. But Elli just doesn’t understand what Shea could see in her. She is overweight, loud, and not even that pretty, so why would someone so gorgeous and so amazing want to be with her? It seemed that no matter how hard she tried to shake Shea off, he wasn’t going anywhere, and for the first time Elli didn’t feel alone.


But could Elli throw her insecurities out the window and love Shea with everything inside of her? Or will she let a past relationship, and her family ruin any chance of her being happy?


Would Elli miss her shot at love?


My Review:
I think that I can honestly say that hockey are my favorite type of sports novels and I adore sports novels. I've had this one on my Kindle for a few months and I am so happy that I finally took the time to read it. It was such a good book. Lots of amazing hockey action, but just some really sweet romance and angst too. 

This is a LONG book. I don't know the actual word count, but it took me about twice as long to read it as a normal read for me, but every minute of it was worth it. I remember thinking at the 12% mark, that this was some of the sweetest romance ever. I really liked the way that the story built between Elli and Shea, although I will admit that there were moments when i just wanted to hit Elli for being so proud and stubborn.

There is instant chemistry between Elli and Shea, but Elli has had years of being torn down by an ex-boyfriend and her family so she doesn't have the best self-esteem. She's a very talented professional photographer who is obsessed with the Nashville Assassins hockey team, so she's thrilled when she's hired to take the team photos. She just can't accept that her #1 player, Shea, is actually interested in her.

Shea has never done the whole relationship thing...he's more a one-night stand kind of guy, so he's kind of clueless and unsure how to pursue Elli. It was so sweet to watch him floundering especially since most the time at first Elli doesn't even realize that he's seriously pursuing her. I loved the scenes between him and his twin sister Grace giving him advice. She had no qualms about telling him when he was being stupid. 

There's so much to this book that makes it so good. Shea and Elli's romance, when it's working, is so gorgeous and sweet. I also really liked the sub-story of Harper and Jakob especially as Harper fell harder and harder...the girl who NEVER falls for ANYone. The complex layers of Elli's family....I loved her uncle and father, especially her uncle's relationship with the hockey team.

This book covers an entire hockey season and it was just the perfect mix of the sport and the relationship. I truly loved it and can't wait to read the other 2 books out, so far, in this series. I've definitely found a new series to love and obsess about!

BTW, I am editing this review after I have read all three of the books in the series out so far. If you like fashion and shoes, this series is FOR YOU!! OMG, I love Toni's descriptions of what the heroines are wearing. Their outfits, especially the shoes....I NEED some peep-toe pumps with a bow on the back... are almost a character unto themselves. It's such a fun aspect of ALL THREE of these books!

1 comment:

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

I love it when there is a little element that takes the books from being good to really good :) It is those little fun (or simple) things that often make the huge difference!