Monday, September 17, 2012

Gold Digger by Aleksandr Voinov

Title:  Gold Digger
Author: Aleksandr Voinov
My Rating: B

Genre: Contemporary Romance (m/m)
Series: -

Main Characters:Nikolai & Henri
Release Date: September 2012
ISBN: e-book
Publisher: Riptide Publishing 
Links to Purchase:

Sexual Intensity: hot


Story Overview:
Not all that glitters is gold.

Nikolai Krasnorada leads the life of a corporate nomad. Working for a gold explorations company, he’s never put down roots, and he likes it that way. Roots can be dangerous, as everyone from his “man-hating” sister to his manipulative mother to his war-traumatized father has proven.

But when his CEO sends him to Toronto to strike a deal with LeBeau Mining, Nikolai meets Henri LeBeau, crown prince to the resources conglomerate and inveterate flirt. Sparks fly immediately, despite the business deal that threatens to go sour and Nikolai’s own reluctance to give Henri false hope about him being Mr. Right. He’s barely come to terms with his bisexuality, and getting involved with Henri would get messy.

When LeBeau Mining launches a hostile takeover bid, Nikolai and Henri find themselves on opposite sides of the negotiating table. But fortunately—or perhaps unfortunately—for Nikolai, Henri’s not nearly as interested in his company as he is in his heart.

My Review:
B hot
Before this book, I've only read one other Aleksandr Voinov book, Country Mouse, so I am not really familiar with this author although I did really enjoy that book. I was about 2/3 of the way through this book when it occurred to me that this is the book that Smexy had talked about in her Top 10 a couple of weeks ago. This is a follow-up to another HUGE book that intrigued me, Special Forces...that story is Vadim's story, who is Nikolai's father...and he plays a pretty big role in this book too.

This book is truly an international book as it goes through the corporate intrigue of a new company wanting to mine for gold. The book starts off in Canada where Nikolai is pitching to another company to invest in their gold exploration, then moves to New Zealand where Nikolai is visiting his father, Vadim, then finishes in London.

Henri is the nephew to the CEO of the company that Nikolai is pitching to...that meeting does not go well, but things are natural between the two men. They immediately hit it off and spend the weekend together. To this point, Nikolai has never been with another man before although he's always been aware of the gay lifestyle with his father.

I liked Nikolai a lot. He's dealing with a lot of stress. Things aren't good with his family and getting crazier by the minute. He screwed up the meeting in Canada which has put the company in jeopardy. Plus he's dealing with all these new feelings with Henri. I liked how up-front he is about everything with everyone though. He doesn't try to play games or use subterfuge to get his footing. He just tells it like it is...to everyone. I enjoyed his time with Vadim and it definitely made me curious about Vadim's whole story.

My only real complaint is that I had a hard time accepting the depth of feeling between the two guys. They had some incredibly sweet moments that literally just melted my heart. But none of the story is told from Henri's point of view and I think that creates a disconnect...at least it did for me. I just needed a tiny bit more to believe this whirlwind, around-the-world romance.

But that being said, I did enjoy the book and before I even finished with it, I downloaded Special Forces and started to read it. I think I'll be able to appreciate this one more after I've read all the back-history in that one (although it absolutely isn't needed to enjoy this book...this is definitely a stand-alone novel.) Overall, this was definitely an enjoyable read and I think I understand a tiny bit more about mining for gold and corporate sabotage. 

I received a complementary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

1 comment:

Mandi said...

I liked the characters and the hot sex, but I agree - I needed more to believe in an actual romance or relationship. I hope you like Special Forces..it's soooo good :)