Sunday, August 19, 2012

Twice Bitten by Chloe Neill

Title: Twice Bitten
Author: Chloe Neill
My Rating: A

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Chicagoland Vampires #3
Main Characters: Merit
Release Date: July 2010
ISBN: 9780451230645
Publisher: Penguin
Links to Purchase:
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: mild


Story Overview:

Shapeshifters from across the country are convening in the Windy City, and as a gesture of peace, Master Vampire Ethan Sullivan has offered their leader a very special bodyguard: Merit, Chicago's newest vampire. Merit is supposed to protect the Alpha, Gabriel Keene-and to spy for the vamps while she's at it. Oh, and luckily Ethan's offering some steamy, one-on-one combat training sessions to help her prepare for the mission.
Unfortunately, someone is gunning for Gabriel, and Merit soon finds herself in the line of fire. She'll need all the help she can get to track down the would-be assassin, but everywhere she turns, there are rising tensions between supernaturals-not least between her and a certain green-eyed, centuries-old master vampire.

My Review:

I liked this book in the series...lots of action, tons of emotion, lots of Merit kicking butt. I like that, but this also was a book where Merit took some serious shots to her heart too, which made my heart ache for her. But it did make for a fabulous book!!

This was it....the book where things turn a corner for our heroine (isn't book #3 where that happens in all these Urban Fantasy series?) Things heated up between her and Ethan, but when that got to be too much for him, he broke her heart (but you know, the author has already said that there's going to be at least 10 books in this series, so that wasn't such a surprise...in fact, I'm sure it will happen a few more times before it's all said and done and our heroine rides off into her happily ever after.)

But this book really introduced us to the politics of the shifter community rather than the vampire community (although that was still present in this book too.) Long time frenemies, the shifters and vampires have an unsteady alliance, but as things heat up in the vampire world now that humans know they exist, the shifters are becoming edgy. When they become edgy, they tend to take off to the Alaskan wilderness where they are safe. The vampires don't want that....they need the strength that the shifters can provide if they stand by the vampires so Ethan is working hard to forge that alliance. But you know that these books are all about Merit so you know, she has a heavy influence in all this.

I liked Merit so much in this book. She takes a LOT of mental blows, but she's learning to stand on her own and be self-confident in herself as a vampire and as a warrior. She was tough in this one...in so many different ways when she had all kinds of things thrown at her. She's smart, she's quick-thinking, and I just love her character. 

Now the debate is....do I move on to Book #4? I'm happy with this series right now and have heard so many grumblings about it from the next book on. I WANT to keep reading, and I fully plan to in the future, but right now, there are only 3 more of the 7 more planned actually out. Do I wait to read so I don't have to wait on pins and needles getting frustrated with the author and the way that she tortures her readers (at least that's what I've heard) or do I settle now fairly happy with where the series stands?? hmmm, decisions, but I'm just not sure I can resist book #4 sitting out there on my table. Maybe I'll just read the first chapter....

2 comments:

Mariana Pereira Bezerra said...

I think you should wait. I read the first four in one week and the end was a bit lacking and I was really mad, didn't had the courage to read the fifth until today.

I liked this series and the Chloe knows how to create a good plot.

Julie said...

Book three, chapter 8. ZOMG Finally!!! This is my favorite of the series...except the end. I wanted to burn the book...and Ethan along with it. lol