Saturday, August 4, 2012

The Sidhe Series by S.A. Archer & S. Ravynheart

This review will take a slightly different style than my normal, just because this series is organized in a way that's slightly different too. 


The Sidhe series is set in the paranormal world and follows three different lives throughout this world as it's changing and evolving. The three lives intersect and follow a lot of the same events, but they are told from VERY different perspectives in the three different books.


These books are short little novellas and sell for only $.99 cents each. I recommend you buy these three to see what I'm talking about and try out the series. I think I'm already hooked!


BTW, this is the recommended reading order by the authors. Ignore the series order and follow their recommendations.



Champion of the Sidhe #1
Character: Lugh

Story Overview:
The day Lugh, Champion of the Sidhe, has long fought for finally manifests; all Sidhe unified under one Court. No more Light versus Dark. No more wars. Brothers, one and all. But on the day that should be celebrated as their greatest triumph, treachery brings his world crashing down, literally. Now if he can’t find a way to stop it no fey will survive.

My Review:
My rating: B

This book is only 12 pages long, but they are jam-packed with action and I will admit that I spent most those pages trying to understand what was happening because I am not all that familiar with the Fey court. There are Seelie (light Fey) and Unseelie (dark Fey). From what I can understand, Lugh is basically the head warrior for the Seelie. On this day, there was a big political meeting happening that would unite the two Fey groups, but instead, their entire magical world literally collapsed when the leader of their world was murdered.

This book follows his actions as he works to get to their fallen leader to try to save her. Even though I was admittedly confused, I liked the dichotomy in this book between Lugh and Jhaer. They start out battling, but then as the world starts to fall apart, they become a team. LOVED that and I'm interested to see how that plays out in the coming books.

I won a copy of the series from the author.


The Rise of the Unseelie #1
Character: Jhaer/Donovan


Story Overview:

The day the Mounds collapsed Jhaer, leader of the Unseelie Elite, sacrificed his strength, his magic, and his very life to save his world.

It wasn’t enough.

He thought that was the end of his story… Instead it is the beginning.


My Review:
My Rating: B+

When I got to this book, I was starting to get a better handle on what was happening and who the players are. This book follows the journey of Jhaer. While Lugh went to try to save the leader, Jhaer took it upon himself to physically hold up the world to save as many of their people as he could while they are trying to escape. He's an Unseelie and is a Dark Fey, who finds his power from the earth.

Where their world collapses, with him under it, he's obviously reeling, but because he can manipulate the earth, he doesn't die like most the others caught under it. He then moves into the normal world (i.e. our world) and tries to make his way. First order of business, he changes his name to Donovan and then works to find some allies.

It's interesting to see these two versions of the same story from two VERY DIFFERENT participants. Just like how they are both so different, their methods of coping with the change are very different. Like I said, I'm really excited to see how this all plays out.

I won a copy of the series from the author.


Touched #1
Character: London


Story Overview:
As a private investigator specializing in paranormal problems, London Eyer thought she could handle working for the Sidhe. They couldn’t be any worse than vampires or werewolves or wizards, could they? Oh, how wrong she was. One ‘Touch’ of Sidhe magic and she was cursed. Her only chance to survive is to serve the creep that cursed her against the vicious Changelings out for his blood.

My Review:
My Rating: A-

Hmm, and the story takes an interesting twist with London. London is a human private investigator who works with the paranormals. She was hired to do a job which appears to have landed her in some seriously deep water although she had no idea at the time that there was anything to worry about.

This book, more than the other two, has seriously sucked me into the story. I NEED to know where this is all going. London's tough and has found herself in a situation with no escape. It's really, really interesting and I like the more overall view of the entire paranormal world this section of the story provided.  I'm really liking all of these stories so far!

I plan to slide 3 a week into my review schedule for the next few weeks, so I'm excited to see where the stories go! I definitely recommend you try these out!


I won a copy of the series from the author.
  

No comments: