Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Demoness of Waking Dreams by Stephanie Chong



Title:  The Demoness of Waking Dreams
Author: Stephanie Chong
My Rating: C-



Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: Company of Angels #2
Main Characters: Brandon and Luciana
Release Date: August 2012
ISBN978-0778313144
Publisher: Mira
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
Ex-cop Brandon Clarkson is an angel with an edge. His tough exterior is the perfect camouflage for his job—hunting down the most dangerous criminals on earth. A self-reliant and demanding lone wolf, Brandon is the perfect angel to track and capture demoness Luciana Rossetti.
Beneath the surface of Luciana's cool, green-eyed beauty lurks the heart of a malevolent killer. In the winding streets of Venice, she lures Brandon into her dark world of pleasure.
They are perfectly matched. Angel and demon. Man and woman. But only one can win the battle of wills, of strength and of desire.

My Review:

C- 
I adored the first book in this series because it showed the fine line that exists between good and evil. I hated this book for the same reason. In this book, the hope that existed from the first book was vanquished. Everything was just slightly more tipped towards the evil side and there were no happy outcomes...NONE. As a romance reader, that isn't something that I can accept. I need something positive to walk away with...that's why I read romance. This book didn't give it to me.

What this book did give to me was a yummy hero in the Angel Brandon. I loved his tattoos and his internal analysis of his actions. It also gave me the Demoness Luciana. While I didn't like her very much I could definitely feel compassion for all that she's gone through in life and the place where she finds herself stuck. I liked the story line with Mossimo, Luciana's gatekeeper. I hated Ariel's (another angel...albeit a jealous, vengeful one) part in the story and thought she just made the story more hopeless.

The writing in the book is beautiful. The scenes of Venice and the symbolism throughout the story were both gorgeous. But my rating isn't based on that. My rating is based upon my enjoyment of the book...and that was bad. I don't feel better for having read this book...in fact, it's quite the opposite. There may be an over-arching series goal here that I can't see, but I don't think I will ever get to see it if that is the case. This book ruined this series for me and I won't read any more from it.

I received a complementary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: