Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Roar! by Mariposa Cruz

Title: Roar!
Author: Mariposa Cruz
My Rating: C+

Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: #2
Main Characters: Linda and Flynn
Release Date: August 2012
ISBN: ebook
Publisher: Wild Rose Press
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: mild


Story Overview:
Focused on the bottom line, corporate paralegal Linda Underwood answers to no one. Her world is torn apart when a bear shifter turns her romantic weekend rendezvous into a desperate struggle to stay alive. Now a recently-turned shifter herself, she is determined to beat the affliction by ignoring her newly awakened beastly impulses.
After the accidental death of his wife, shifter Flynn Cromwell finds solace in a remote mountain cabin, immersed in his computer network security work. When he discovers Linda’s ravaged body near the brink of death, he’s compelled to protect her.
Can Flynn save Linda from her own stubborn nature and defend her from a vicious shifter with a taste for her blood? Can Linda soothe the beast within, even the score with her maker, and gain Flynn’s trust as well his heart?
Rating: Sensual
Page Count: 69
Word Count: 18242
978-1-61217-327-6 Digital

My Review:
C+
This book had such good possibilities and honestly, I probably would have enjoyed it more if I'd read the first book in the series, but I haven't read that book. As a result, I spent a lot of the book trying to keep track of exactly who was who in the plethora of characters. 
The book also seemed to come across as just a bit underwritten. The story that was there was good, but it needed more development. That's the problem when you have a complex story with lots of characters and it's a novella format. The story was there that I really could have loved it if it had been written to be about 50% longer. I wouldn't have changed any of the story, I just would have added more depth to it from the characters. Again, I may not have felt that way if I had the first book in the series.
What I did like about the book: 1. I'm intrigued by this shifter/vampire community and what they've built together here although it's not an obviously normal cooperation. 2. I loved Flynn's character and his reactions to Linda, although there again, I needed more from him in the climax of the story. 3. I loved the wolf shifters, Jack & Kate. But their's was the first book. As a result, a LOT of what they were going through in this book flew by me because I didn't understand who the players were.
I may just have to go back and read book #1 and see if my impressions change.

No comments: