Monday, August 20, 2012

Hard Bitten by Chloe Neill



Title: Hard Bitten
Author: Chloe Neill
My Rating: A+


Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Chicagoland Vampires #4
Main Characters: Merit
Release Date: May 2011
ISBN:9780451233325
 
Publisher: NAL (Penguin)

Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: mild

Story Overview:
Chicago is beset by supernatural tensions, and Merit-vampire protector of a safe haven called Cadogan house-is worried that the humans will be reaching for their pitchforks any minute. It doesn't help that yet another vampire rave is broken up by the mayor, and a new inhibition- reducing drug is circulating through the community.
It's up to Merit to put her house in order-literally. And if that takes getting a little blood on her hands, so be it.


My Review:
A+
Long before I ever started reading this series, I heard about the shocking end to book #4. Everyone was talking about it when the book came out, but no one ever spilled what exactly happened. So I started this book with more than a bit of trepidation and with 40 pages left in the book, I still had no idea what could possibly be before me.

I finished the book 15 minutes ago and I'm still bawling. OMG! I don't even know what to say. I absolutely won't post spoilers, but now I understand why everyone was so shocked. That being said, I can't condemn the author for what she did. I don't like it, but obviously she has a plan in place and Urban Fantasy series books definitely take their readers on a roller coaster ride of emotion. There's a reason that I only let myself become immersed in a few choice of these series. My emotional grid can't take the stress.

But, back to this book. It was amazing. All the way around. Definitely, I feel it's been the best book in the series so far, ending aside. Merit is coming into her own. Realizing truly what her job is and what Ethan called her to do when he made her Sentinel. I like who she's becoming and how strong she is. On the emotional side, there were some incredible moments in this book between her and Ethan. As a romance reader, I needed those....they help to soften the blow of the ending.

Where does this series go from here? I. Have. No. Idea. Thank god, I have the next two books sitting here next to me to dig into within the next few minutes. The only thing I can say is that this is an incredible series. HUGE KUDOS to Chloe Neill for incredible writing and storytelling. I don't like what she did here, but WHOA...that took some serious writing balls to throw into this series. I can't wait to see where she takes us next.

4 comments:

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

I wasn't a huge fan of the first book but I am thinking I would love the rest of the series. I will be hunting out spoilers as I don't do well with endings that surprise me in a bad way (we all know this LOL)

Mariana Pereira Bezerra said...

The book was amazing, except for the end, when I first read the fifth had not be released and I couldn't stop thinking about Merit and Ethan.

Ashley Montgomery said...

I haven't started this series yet. I've had a couple of people tell me to beware because of what you just read.


Ashley @ Dr. Pepper Diva

Julie said...

Wow A+! This is THE book that people either totally respected or it pissed the hell out of them. lol I was somewhere in between but more not happy. And I have not quite recovered since. I did not quit the series as some have though - I'm puddling along. But I have to say for me, the series has lost some of it's spark. Well look at that - maybe I was a bit more on the angry side. lol You are right about Chloe having guts though...even though I don't quite agree with those guts. ;)