Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Friday Night Bites by Chloe Neill


Title: Friday Night Bites
Author: Chloe Neill
My Rating: A-


Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Chicagoland Vampires #2
Main Characters: Merit
Release Date: October 2009
ISBN: 9780451227935
Publisher: Penguin
Links to Purchase:
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: mild

Story Overview:
The story of a young heiress's initiation into the dark society of the Chicagoland Vampires continues?
Ten months after vampires revealed their existence to the mortals of Chicago, they're enjoying a celebrity status usually reserved for the Hollywood elite. But should people learn about the Raves-mass feeding parties where vampires round up humans like cattle-the citizens will start sharpening their stakes.
So now it's up to the new vampire Merit to reconnect with her upper class family and act as liaison between humans and bloodsuckers, and keep the more unsavory aspects of the vampire lifestyle out of the media. But someone doesn't want peace between them-someone with an ancient grudge?

My Rating:
I listened to the audio version of book #1, Some Girls Bite, months ago and LOVED it!! But knowing that there were (at that point in time) 4 other books in this series sitting in my TBR, I avoided picking up book #2 because I didn't have time to read the four other books. Well now there are five other books to this series in my TBR pile, but when I started a road trip, I couldn't resist the pull of this one in my audiobook files and started listening to it. I didn't make it very far on my audiobook (chapter 5) because I ended up chatting with my passenger, but it was enough to drag me back into the story. When I got home, I DEVOURED the rest of the book. It's been less than 12 hours since I finished book #2 and yes, I have already started book #3. There goes the rest of my week. *sigh*

This is an urban fantasy series about Merit, a newly turned vampire (against her will) in Chicago. These books need to be read in order because it's a continuing story. Merit is different from other vampires and this book sheds a little bit more light as to the "why" of that. It also continues the intriguing pseudo-romantic threads between her and Morgan and her and Ethan. Of course, nothing is resolved....this is a 10-book series (as it's listed on GR so far)....so I don't think anything is going to be resolved between Merit and any of the men surrounding her for a very long time. That's the only thing that drives me crazy with Urban Fantasy books. ;o) I do like my HEA.

But this is a great addition to the series. The action didn't seem quite as intense as book #1, but my attention never faltered in the book. I did mention that I devoured it, right? I like Merit. She's tough and even with all the crazy in her life, she seems normal. You could see how a normal person could end up in these circumstances...you know if vampires and shifters were real entities anyway. :o) She's someone that all of us could easily see calling a girlfriend and hanging out with on a Friday night and I think that's why these books work so well. It's the fantasy of what "could" be real and I liked it! Back to reading book #3....

1 comment:

Julie said...

"It's been less than 12 hours since I finished book #2 and yes, I have already started book #3. There goes the rest of my week. *sigh*" LOL Love it! I am curious to see what you think of this series seeing that the HEA sometimes feels like it will never come! Gah! ;)