Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Drink Deep by Chloe Neill



Title: Drink Deep
Author: Chloe Neill
My Rating: A


Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Chicagoland Vampires #5
Main Characters: Merit
Release Date: November 2011
ISBN:9780451234865
 
Publisher: NAL (Penguin)

Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: mild

Story Overview:
Clouds are brewing over Cadogan House, and Merit the vampire can't tell if this is the darkness before the dawn, or the calm before the storm. With the city itself in turmoil over paranormals and the state threatening to pass a paranormal registration act, times have never been more precarious for the vampires. If only they could lay low for a bit...
Then magic rears its ugly head when Lake Michigan turns black. The mayor insists it's nothing to worry about, but Merit knows a panic is coming. She'll have to turn to friends old and new to find out who's behind this, and stop them before it's too late for both the vampires and humans.


My Review:

*big sigh* And the series is back on track...at least on a track that I can handle emotionally. I know that we haven't seen all the repercussions yet from what's happened in this book and the last, but I have hope. Hope is a good thing. I count it as a positive that I ended this book smiling rather than bawling.

I think I set a reading record on this one, since I'm about to start reading the 3rd book from this series today....yes, you heard that correctly. I'm going to read three of these books from this series TODAY. That says TONS about how good these books are. How riveting the characters are. I'm only sad about the fact that the next book I have to read is book #6, the last one that is out and then I will be like everyone else...waiting on pins and needles waiting for the next installment to be released.

So what can I say about this book that won't contain spoilers...really nothing, but some incredibly vague statements. I do like where this series is going. What Merit is doing. The House and Chicago faced some incredible challenges in this book and that turmoil is definitely not over yet, but it's interesting where it's going. So some more vague statements here...*gah* I love Jonah and it's a possibility that I could be convinced to join his camp...in a big way. I found it interesting the way that the magic flows between him and Merit....interesting and intriguing. I want to know/explore that more. I like and approve of the decision that Merit made in this book.

I don't think that there were many questions/problems fixed in this book. It definitely set up for TONS more in the coming books though. It was really an excellent book and the speed in which I devoured it speaks more to that than anything. Off to go read book #6....

4 comments:

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

Uh Oh---you are almost caught up then you are going to have PABD (Post amazing book depression).

Christi Snow said...

Yep, I caught up with this series a couple of weeks ago (I am about 2 weeks ahead on my reviews right now.) This week, I am catching up with the Cut&Run series. Both of them are series that I read the first book months ago and knew that I was going to ADORE them, so I have been saving them for when I could devote time to just them.

Then it's time to go back to some nice single reads. These series kill me (and my sleep habits...since I was up until 3 AM last night)...

Mariana @ Book Travels said...

Now I can't wait to read this one. I like the fact that in the end of one of the books in this series I'm happy and sad.

Julie said...

I also Love Jonah! And I did sort of like where this one went but you are right, it didn't bring the series much more ahead than it was. I think that was my biggest problem with it. But I am giving the series one more shot. I'm actually reading book 6 right now! Really liking it so far...but exactly where I am in the book, I'm pissered. Apparently it gets better. I hope so. lol