Monday, July 9, 2012

West of Want by Laura Kaye



Title:   West of Want
Author: Laura Kaye
My Rating: B-

Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: Hearts of the Anemoi #2
Main Characters: Zeph and Ella
Release Date:  July 2012
ISBN978-1620610558
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in return for an honest review.

Story Overview:
Betrayal is all he's ever known, but in her, he'll find a love strong enough to be trusted...

When Marcella Raines' twin brother dies, she honors his request to be buried at sea, never expecting the violent storm that swamps her boat. Though she's gravely injured--and still emotionally damaged from her recent divorce--Ella fights to survive.

Zephyros Martius is the Supreme God of the West Wind and Spring, but being the strongest Anemoi hasn't protected him from betrayal and loss. Worse, he's sure his brother Eurus is behind it. When Zeph's heartbreak whips up a storm that shipwrecks a human, his guilt forces him to save her.

Ella is drawn to the vulnerability Zeph hides beneath his otherworldly masculinity and ancient blue eyes. And her honesty, empathy, and unique, calming influence leave Zeph wanting...everything. When Eurus threatens Ella, she and Zeph struggle to let go of the past, defend their future, and embrace what they most want--a love that can be trusted.

My Review:
I really enjoy this series. I think writing about the elemental gods is completely creative and innovative. This book is about Zephyros, the god of Spring and the west wind. He's been in a bit of a funk thanks to his brother Eurus who keeps messing with his love life. As a result, he's been throwing a few tantrums, which in the human realm means storms.

Ella is sailing in the Chesapeake Bay to spread her twin brother's ashes after his sudden death. The day starts out gorgeous, but Ella soon finds herself caught up in one of Zeph's storms and only, thanks to his last minute efforts to save her, does she even survive. Unfortunately, she is really hurt, but she's had a few really bad years and doesn't have any friends or family to help her anymore. Zeph can't leave her on her own, because he's to blame for her being in this position and the story flows from there.

Like I said, I really like the premise behind these stories. I like the mix of mythology and love getting to watch all the family members of the gods interact. (I cannot wait for Chrys' story!) I like how, for the most part, these guys have each other's backs even when things are going badly. 

I really loved that this particular book took place in the Chesapeake Bay and Annapolis area. Laura's love of that area really shines through. It was neat to have the inclusion of the sailing aspect too especially with Zeph's influence on the wind. The book read well and was really interesting. 

What didn't work for me though were the characters and this is entirely a personal thing for me. Zeph is a beta and very emotional...almost to the point where it began to get on my nerves. I like my heroes a little more stoic and alpha. Like I said, this is a personal thing. I still thoroughly enjoyed the book even though I wasn't a fan of his character, per se. It did affect my overall rating of the book though. I probably wouldn't read this one again, although I might just for the glimpses of Chrys. Did I mention I'm excited for his book, South of Surrender (coming out in December)?

No comments: