Sunday, July 29, 2012

Savage Awakening by J.D. Tyler

Title:  Savage Awakening
Author: J.D. Tyler
My Rating: A-

Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: Alpha Pack #2
Main Characters: Aric and Rowan
Release Date: April 2012
ISBN: 978-0451236449
Publisher: Signet 
Links to Purchase:

Sexual Intensity: hot


Story Overview:
A group of former Navy SEALS, the Alpha Pack is a top-secret team of wolf shifters with Psy powers combating the greatest dangers in the world. But sometime those dangers are more intimate than they bargained for...
 
After a mission goes wrong, Aric Savage is taken prisoner. Half-dead and despairing, he makes a stunning discovery: his Pack mate Micah Chase, who was reported dead, is a fellow captive. When the Alpha team goes into full-rescue mode, accompanying them is an absolute stunner with sable hair--and a spine of solid steel.

LAPD officer and Psy Dreamwalker Rowan Chase has one priority: her brother Micah's recovery. Still, she can't help but be drawn to Aric, the ruggedly handsome wolf shifter who pleasures her as no man ever has--however fleeting their affair is destined to be. But when Aric's life is endangered, Rowan must ask herself what she's willing to sacrifice in the name of love, for the man fated to be her Bondmate.

My Review:
Last week, I determined that I was going to read one of the many, many books that I've bought and are languishing in my huge TBR pile. (I've pretty much spent all my reading time the last couple of months on review books.) This was the one that I chose....and it was the PERFECT choice. I haven't read any of the other books in this series. This is #2 and there is the first book and a novella that come before this, but I decided I wasn't going to let that put me off (although I swear I have book #1 somewhere around here!)

This book was so good!!! Sexy shifter soldiers...yeah, you know I'm right there and this is a fantastic group of them!! The book starts with Aric being tortured and right then I was hooked because you know this is going to be a good angsty hero and I do love those! Aric was captured when a mission went wrong and now he's being tortured at the hands of his step-sister. While in captivity though, he discovers that one of the Alpha pack, Micah, isn't dead....although he's really close. 

The heroine in this book is super-tough LA cop, Rowan. She's been given a tip about her presumed dead brother Micah and ends up at the Alpha pack compound to investigate. Before this, she had no idea about shifters or other paranormal creatures or that her brother was one. She just knows that she's been told that he's dead and it's something that mentally she can't accept. She "knows" he's still alive.

I loved everything about this book. The whole Alpha team is amazing....from their leader Nick to the super-sexy sorcerer Kalen (he's the hero in book #3 and I cannot wait!!!) I like that J.D. puts a new twist on Bondmates. In this world, if the shifters don't claim their mate, then they die. Serious stuff here and it makes it so incredibly sexy. Micah is going to have an incredible story too after being in captivity for 6 months. He's horribly scarred both inside and out and he's going to have a long road to recovery. 

Overall, I'm sold on this series. Now I need to go grab books #1 and #1.5 and catch up on what I've missed before this one! I highly recommend this series if this book is any indication about how good the whole series is. BTW, if you don't know....J.D. Tyler is the pseudonym for Jo Davis, the author of the incredible Firefighters of Station 5 series.

No comments: