Saturday, July 7, 2012

Changing the Future by Paula Martin

Title: Changing the Future
Author: Paula Martin
My Rating: A


Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: -
Main Characters: Lisa and Paul
Release Date: May 2012
ISBN: 978-1477435786
Publisher: Rebecca J. Vickery

Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy

I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.


Story Overview:
Lisa Marshall is stunned when celebrated volcanologist Paul Hamilton comes back into her life at the college where she now teaches. Despite their acrimonious break-up several years earlier, they soon realise the magnetic attraction between them is stronger than ever. However, the past is still part of the present, not least when Paul discovers Lisa has a young son. They can’t change that past, but will it take a volcanic eruption to help them change the future?


My Review:


I liked this book. In fact, I liked it a lot. Five years ago, Lisa and Paul were seriously involved, but their careers were taking them in different directions. Lisa was working as a television reporter with all the travel that involved and Paul was on the cusp of a 3-year expedition to Peru. In a series of events....Lisa was out of town on assignment with her boss and Paul misinterpreted an event and decided she was cheating on him with her boss...they broke up. That was over five years ago and they've never seen each other since. 


Now, both their lives have drastically changed. Lisa teaches college and enjoys her life as a single mother to her 4 yo. Paul has become a well-known television personality through his various research and knowledge about volcanoes. So it is a shock to both of them when Paul shows up on Lisa's campus where she teaches. He's filling in for another teacher  and will be there for the next couple of months to finish out the year. Neither one has recovered from their hurt of five years ago and neither would have ever chosen a life where they had to see the other day-in and day-out. They aren't happy to have to play nice together. There's too many hurt feelings still present for this to be a comfortable situation.


I really liked both these characters. Assumptions, pride, and hurt feelings ruined their wonderful relationship five years ago. But that underlying love they felt for each other then hasn't disappeared. It's just been buried deep under hurt feelings. But they're both adults and professionals and work really hard to maintain a decent relationship at school...but that quickly morphs into something more for them. That chemistry is still there.


I really liked everything about the setting in this book. It takes place at a college in England, with a romantic weekend in NYC, and a bit of a suspense story set in a volcano in Iceland. The action is good and I really enjoyed my time with these two characters. 


Overall it was a highly entertaining read and will be going into my re-read pile!

3 comments:

Paula Martin said...

Thank you so much for this review, Christi. I was very impressed by your summary of the story and am so thrilled that you enjoyed it! Million thanks!

Libby said...

I had heard that this was really good. I already have it on my TBRs, but I will move it a few books up the stack!

Excellent review, by the way!

Paula Martin said...

Many thanks, Libby! I hope you enjoy it when it reaches the top of your TBRs - do let me know! Either on Facebook or via my website www.paulamartinromances.webs.com