Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Summer Nights by Susan Mallery

Title: Summer Nights
Author: Susan Mallery
My Rating: A-


Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Fool's Gold #8
Main Characters: Shane and Annabelle
Release Date: June 2012
ISBN: 9780373776870
Publisher: Harlequin
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

I received a copy of this book from the publisher and NetGalley in return for an honest review.


Story Overview:
Horse whisperer Shane Stryker is done with passion. This time around, he's determined to meet someone who will be content with the quiet life of a rancher's wife. And the fiery, pint-size redhead who dazzles him at the local bar definitely does not fit the bill.
Small-town librarian Annabelle Weiss has always seen herself as more of a sweetheart than a siren, so she can't understand why Shane keeps pushing her away. Shane has formed the totally wrong impression of her but only he can help her with a special event for the next Fool's Gold festival. And maybe while he's at it, she can convince him to teach her a few things about kissing on hot summer nights, too—some lessons, a girl shouldn't learn from reading a book!


My Review:


I really enjoyed this book, which isn't a surprise since I pretty much love all of Susan Mallery's books. But what made this book for me was Shane and Annabelle's sarcastic senses of humor. Both of them constantly had little quips and thoughts throughout the book which kept me giggling. Here's a good example. In the scene below, Annabelle was arguing about why it wasn't smart for her to ride a horse:


"You'll be fine."
"Do you know how short I am? It's farther for me than most people."
"By a couple of inches."
Inches could be significant. As a man, he should know that.

Little quips like that simply kept me giggling throughout the entire book. I loved that about this book. There's great dialogue and chemistry between these two and the whole tone of the book stays happy and quirky the whole time...even when they are having issues. The happy, quick dialogue is a fabulous mainstay to this book.

This is the middle book for this summer's Fools Gold trilogy (#8 if you're keeping track.) I think it's going to be my favorite simply because I love the characters and their jobs so much. Annabelle is a librarian (hello...book lover) and Shane raises horses (hello...cowboy)! Seriously, what's not to love here?? Combining books with cowboys? Yes, Susan Mallery is tuned in completely to my fantasy perfect world.

And I really liked both these characters. They've both been married before and both have the emotional wounds to prove it, although Shane has more leftover mental issues with relationship than Annabelle does. 

And let's not forget the whole Stryker farm menagerie which adds great fun to the book. As the cowboy, Shane falls to the in-charge guy of all the animals his mother keeps adopting. I loved how he kept trying to help Priscilla, the elephant, to alleviate her loneliness...even to the point of taking in the pony, Reno (he hates ponies...leftover trauma from childhood.) I loved that everyone is terrified of the stallion Khatar except for Annabelle. The way that he follows her around and loves her completely...just a GORGEOUS aspect to this story.

The next book is Charlie and Clay. My heart simply aches for Charlie, so I am so excited to watch her find her Happily Ever After. Only one more month until All Summer Long.

6 comments:

Julie said...

Oh, I'm glad this one was better than the last one. I think I may just read it. Thanks Christi!

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

I am really looking forward to Charlie's book! I think it is going to be heartwrenching!

Melissa said...

That was one of my fav lines also!! I really liked the back and forth with these two. They are both so funny!! :)
I really loved Summer Days and Summer Nights. Can not wait for All Summer Long!!! :)
Rah, Rah, Yee-Haw!!

Susan Mallery said...

Thanks! Glad you loved SUMMER NIGHTS. I can't tell you how much I laughed while writing this book! Glad to know that Shane and Annabelle made you laugh, too.

Blessed x3 said...

Summer Nights is a great summer read. I love that Annabelle wanted to learn how to ride a horse for her fundraiser for her bookmobile that she cares so much about. I don't want to give away anything. There was so many twists & turns in this book! I love that so much. There is 1 thing that I absolutely love a lot, but I can not say. My daughter is disabled & she takes horseback riding lessons. Summer Nights is my favorite book in the entire Fool's Gold series! I give 5 stars! Way to go Susan Mallery!!

calstephanie said...

Summer Nights was a great read. I absolutely loved Shane and Annabelle's story and being able to return to Fools Gold. :)