Friday, June 1, 2012

Succubus Lost by Tiffany Allee



Title: Succubus Lost
Author: Tiffany Allee
My Rating: A-

Genre: Paranormal Suspense
Series: From the Files of the Otherworld Enforcement Agency #2
Main Characters: Mari and Valerio
Release Date: May 2012
ISBN: ebook
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Links to Purchase:
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: spicy

I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

Story Overview:
Someone is kidnapping and incinerating otherworlders beyond recognition, and detective Marisol Whitman, a succubus, races to find the murderer before he claims another victim. But her pursuit is derailed when her responsible younger sister vanishes. Marisol suspects foul play and enlists support from an unlikely source: an agent from the Otherworlder Enforcement Agency, Valerio Costa.

When the trail pointing to everyone from vampires to witches dries up, Agent Costa admits to knowing more than he’s shared. Marisol’s sister’s kidnapper harnesses more magic than she can imagine—and they’re running out of time. To find her sister before her powers are drained and twisted beyond recognition, Marisol must connect the dots between cases and put her trust in Costa, a salamander who may burn her before she can solve either case.

My Review:
Okay, so now I've read book #2 in this series. (I also did a review of book #1, Banshee Charmer, and you can find it right below this one if you are reading this review on my blog, Smitten with Reading.) I have to say I liked this book a bit better than the first, mainly because now the world is somewhat is established for us. And what an interesting world it is....with a lot of paranormal creatures you don't normally see in PNR books....like salamanders, which is what the hero is in this book.

The heroine in this book is Marisol, a succubus who we met in book #1. Her younger sister has disappeared, without a trace, and Mari knows something is wrong. When her sister was a teenager, she was attacked and she is just now starting to recover and learn how to live a normal life again. Marisol is a cop, so she immediately goes to her supervisor with her concerns. Quickly things escalate as Agent Costa (Valerio) shows up with information about a spree of kidnappings around the country that have been centered around succubus.

Even though I figured out fairly early in the story who the bad guy was, I still had fun reading the story and thought that the suspense was done really well. There was more of a sense of danger in this book that definitely ramped up the excitement while reading it. There is definitely a romance aspect to these books, but I feel like it runs secondary to the mystery/suspense story line. 

That being said though, I really, really liked Agent Costa and his interactions with Mari. I can't imagine the difficulties there are living life as a succubus, men either wanting you or mistrusting you because of their reactions to you. Agent Costa definitely falls into the second group. He doesn't trust Mari....at all. Mari's is scared to death for her sister and dealing with a difficult partner certainly isn't helping her stress levels. There was a good amount of conflict between them with the underlying sexual tension to really keep it interesting. The author found a great balance of that chemistry in this book. 

But you know, I'm a romance girl. These books just end with more of a Happily for Now type of ending. I want more...but I know, that's totally a me-thing, so I am trying not to let that fact sway my impression of these novels. I think the publisher is pushing these more towards the mystery/suspense side rather than the romance. But if you're like me and like the romance first and foremost, be warned...these books may leave you feeling just slightly dissatisfied in that regard at the end. 



No comments: