Friday, June 1, 2012

Banshee Charmer by Tiffany Allee


Title: Banshee Charmer
Author: Tiffany Allee
My Rating: B


Genre: Paranormal Suspense
Series: From the Files of the Otherworld Enforcement Agency #1
Main Characters: Mac and Aiden
Release Date: January 2012
ISBN: ebook
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Links to Purchase:
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: spicy

I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.


Story Overview:
When she’s sent to a crime scene and finds her second dead woman in as many weeks, half-banshee detective Kiera “Mac” McLoughlin is convinced a serial killer is on the loose. Incubi are extinct, her boss insists. But what else can kill a woman in the throes of pleasure? When her partner is murdered after using witchcraft to locate the killer and Mac is thrown off the case, her frustration turns to desperation.


Certain the killer is an incubus, Mac works behind her department’s back to chase down slim, sometimes perilous leads. While the killer eludes her, she does discover handsome Aidan Byrne, an investigative counterpart from the enigmatic Otherworld Enforcement Agency. Mac typically runs her investigations fast and hard, but with Aidan at her side, she’s running this one “hot” as well. But Aiden knows more than he’s letting on—something that could shatter their blazing romance and add Mac to the killer’s growing body count…




My Review:

I think that this is the first book I've ever read which features a Banshee...an otherworlder who can kill with her scream. I liked her as a paranormal creature and I like the world that is being created here. This is an interesting premise for a series and I think eventually it will be a really interesting group of books. For this book, as the first in the series, there was a lot to set up and explain and it isn't that long of a novel. As a result, I don't feel like we got to make as deep a connection with the characters as I would have liked. And I would have really gotten to know these characters because I really liked them. 


Mac is a half-banshee who works for the police force. She's a female cop and half otherworlder...both strikes against her, but she's tough and she holds her own. I liked that about her. Aiden is the Agent from OEA who is working behind the scenes to help her find a serial killer. You can tell from the very beginning that there seems to be more to his character, but you're never quite sure what that is. There is a lot of suspense in this novel as you try to figure out who did it in this huge cast of characters...many of them who have issues which could make them a suspect. There is a lot of intrigue and politics between the humans and various otherworld groups and even the OEA. The suspense was really good, although I would have liked to have seen the danger ramped up just a tiny bit more. 

Like I said, I had a hard time connecting with the characters in this book, but that may be misleading because I really had a hard time connecting with Aiden in this book. I do realize there was a reason for that. I just feel like I would have been more invested in his and Mac's story if we could have had a bit of the story told from his point of view. I wanted to care about him more.

I know this is the start of the series and I have no idea how the next books in the series will interact with this one. I hope that we will get to see some of these characters again as we move forward so we can see how things are working out. For this book I felt like it ended with a Happily For Now and I want to see the Happily Ever After. I look forward to reading the next one in the series.


No comments: