Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Summer Days by Susan Mallery

Title: Summer Days
Author: Susan Mallery
My Rating: B


Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Fool's Gold #7
Main Characters: Rafe and Heidi
Release Date: May 2012
ISBN: 9780373776832
Publisher: Harlequin
Links to Purchase:
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: hot

I received a copy of this book from the publisher and NetGalley in return for an honest review.


Story Overview:
Locked in an unexpected land dispute, Rafe Stryker is trapped in the one place he vowed never to return to – the Castle Ranch in Fool’s Gold, California. He made millions facing ruthless adversaries in the boardroom, but nothing could’ve prepared him to go head-to-head against stubborn, beautiful Heidi Simpson. No one is more surprised than Rafe to discover that he’s finding Heidi – and life as a cowboy – much more compelling than he wants to admit. For Heidi, the Castle Ranch is the home she’s always wanted. After a life on the road, the vivacious blonde has finally put down roots. She won’t give that up without a fight, not even for a man whose late-night kisses make her yearn to be a little less…wholesome. As the two turn from passionate adversaries to passionate, period, they’ll discover that summer love can last a lifetime.

My Review:

Another good Fool's Gold novel, although I have to admit I find the whole premise of this novel a little shaky. Heidi moved to Fool's Gold a year ago to raise goats on a 1000 acre ranch. Her grandfather was trying to help a friend get cancer treatments so he "sold" Heidi's ranch to Rafe's mom, May, for $250,000. The problem...the ranch isn't his to sell and Heidi doesn't want to give it up. She also doesn't want her grandfather to go to jail. Rafe is furious on behalf of his mother, but when they go to court over it, the judge decides to give them several months to see if they can come to an agreement. They quickly all end up living together and working to co-exist on this large farm with it's six bedroom house.

Like I said, the whole basis of the story is pretty far-fetched, but that was really the only issue I had with this book. Otherwise, it was really fun and engaging. I loved Heidi and Rafe and how he settled into the farm, although he had no intention of living there at all. May, Rafe's mom, kept me giggling every time another animal showed up. I loved this woman and her zest for life and how she's embracing her new life back in Fool's Gold. Rafe has always been serious about one thing...winning and coming out on top. When he's facing this battle with Heidi, it's hard for him to change his thought process. Heidi's just doing everything she can to protect her home (the only one she's ever had) and her grandfather (the only family that she has.) Everyone agrees that he screwed up and they are all, except Rafe, trying to work towards a amenable solution. It makes for an interesting novel.

There were lots of little quirks about this story and small town that kept the book fun and engaging. The three girls and their times together commiserating their lack of love lives were fabulous... Annabelle, Charlie, and Heidi. I also really loved Rafe's friend and partner, Dante...really hoping to see more of him in future books. He was delicious with a great sense of humor. And of course, in this series, the town is almost it's own character...so fun and full of charm. Lots of fun things moving there with this small town and it's many festivals.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Yeah...you know how I feel about this book. Just yeah... It's a shame too because, as you said, the characters and the romance was fun and engaging but the premise *shakes head*. And the characters were all a bit too much. I will try another book though. I just haven't decided if I'll read the next one. Are you? If you are, I'll wait for your review. ;)

Blessed x3 said...

I love Susan Mallery & Fool's Gold!! Rafe & Heidi has a great chemistry together even though they are both stubborn. I feel so bad for Heidi, who finally has a home of her own. Rafe swore he would never go back to Fool's Gold, but he did it for his mother. I love May. She was something else! If you are looking for a good romance book, then this is it! You won't be disappointed! I can not wait to read Summer Nights! My plan is to read it on my side deck that over looks the city. I want to read it at night so I can see the city lights. I would love to get a bottle of wine before the day it releases which is June 26th!!

calstephanie said...

Great review! Summer Days was such a fun story. Made me LOL several times. I loved Heidi and Rafe!

Blessed x3 said...

Since June, I have also read Summer Nights. It has became my favorite of all of the Fool’s Gold books. Summer Nights is another great summer read. Annabelle is caring, a great friend, & so sweet! I love that Annabelle wanted to learn how to ride a horse for her fundraiser for her bookmobile. There is 1 thing that I absolutely love a lot & it has to do with Shane, but I am not going to give it away. In Summer Nights, we find out more about Heidi & Rafe's story!!