Friday, May 4, 2012

Ruthless by Cheryl Douglas



Title:  Ruthless
Author: Cheryl Douglas
My Rating: B+

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Nashville Nights #3
Main Characters: Marisa and Luc
Release Date: April 2012
ISBN: e-book
Publisher: self-pub
Links to Purchase:
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: spicy



This book was provided to me by the author in return for an honest review.

Story Overview:
Marisa Turner has wanted her brother's best friend, Luc, forever. But she also wants a baby and it seems Luc isn't up to the challenge. She has to choose between the man she loves and the family she hopes to have. Fortunately, there's another man waiting in the wings to make her baby fantasy a reality. 

Luc Spencer is tired of hearing about marriage and babies. He loves Marisa, but he can't promise her forever. After two years together, she tells him it's over. He's not worried, he believes she'll be back. But what will happen when he finds out there's another man ready and willing to give Marisa everything he can't?

My Review:
I really am enjoying this series. It's simply a fun group of contemporary romances set around the Nashville music scene. This book was Marisa and Luc's story. Marisa is sister and stylist to country superstar Trey (hero from book #1) and Luc is his manager.

Luc grew up in an unhappy home. His parents didn't have a good marriage, because his father was too focused on making his career a success at the sacrifice of everything else. Luc is self-aware enough to realize that he's a lot like his father that way. As a result, he never plans to marry or have children because he has no intention of hurting anyone the way his father hurt him and his mother. Unfortunately, you can plan all you want in life, but you can't control your emotions especially when it comes to love.

Marisa dated Luc for two years and has loved him her entire adult life. But she finally realized that he was never going to be able to give her what she needs....marriage and a family and has been struggling to give up on her love for Luc. She knows that her love for Luc overrides everything else when she's around him, including her common sense so she's tried to cut her ties to him, but that's not easy to do when they have the same circle of work associates and friends.

There's a lot of back and forth in this book with the emotional upheaval. Marisa has been patient long enough and she's flat-out given up on Luc. Luc loves her and cannot stand the thought of being without her, but knows that he will just hurt her in the end. Honestly, he's really sacrificing himself to keep her from getting hurt, but they are both too far gone. Staying apart at this point is just hurting both of them, but Luc is terrified to give into their love.

There was a series of momentous events in this book that changes Luc's perspective. I'm not going to give any spoilers except to say that I loved the way that the author wrote this story line. It works and it works well. This was another truly enjoyable installment to this series. I continue to like all of these characters.

The next book is Ty (an up and coming country star) and Avery. They are both introduced in this book with a few brief hints at a past they've shared. I already love Ty's character, but am not so sure about Avery yet. Regardless, I am anxious to see where Cheryl takes the series next!



About the Author


It took me thirty-seven years to decide what I wanted to be when I grew up. I thought I'd found my calling. In fact, I worked as a nutritionist for twelve years before I finally admitted to myself that while I enjoyed my work, I couldn't imagine doing it for the next thirty years.

My sub-conscious knew that I wanted to be a writer long before the conscious part of my mind decided to get with the program. While my sub-conscious was hard at work creating character profiles, plots and storylines, my conscious mind was telling me it was crazy to give up a successful business on the off-chance one of my manuscripts might rise to the top of someone's never-ending slush pile. After years of listening to that negative voice, I was finally ready to stop making excuses, face the fear and follow my dream of becoming a full-time writer, no matter the outcome. I'm so thankful I did.

I love bringing my characters to life and I am so grateful to have readers who love those characters as much as I do.

When I take a break from writing it's to spend time with my husband (a.k.a. my real life hero), my son, and my writing partner, Tia, a spirited Havanese who enjoys tapping her paw on my keyboard whenever I need a little comic relief.



2 comments:

Cheryl Douglas said...

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and review Ruthless. I'm so glad you liked it! I have to say, this was one of my favs to write. Luc's character took me on an emotional ride and by the end of the book, I liked him so much I knew he had to play a bigger role in the rest of the series. You'll be seeing much more of him in books four and five, with a great snapshot of where he and Marisa are now, in book five. Have a great weekend!

Christi Snow said...

It really is a fabulous series, Cheryl. I just love all the characters in it. They're so real! smiles....