Sunday, April 1, 2012

One Hot Cowboy Wedding by Carolyn Brown



Title:  One Hot Cowboy Wedding
Author: Carolyn Brown
My Rating: B


Genre:  Contemporary Romance
Series: Spikes and Spurs #4
Main Characters: Ace and Jasmine
Release Date: April 2012
ISBN: 9781402253645
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Links to Purchase:
Amazon  

Sexual Intensity: spicy

I received a copy of this book from the publisher and NetGalley in return for an honest review.

Story Overview:
A marriage made in Vegas...
Hunky cowboy Ace Riley wasn't planning on settling down, but his family had other plans for him...The only way to save his hide, and his playboy lifestyle, is to discreetly marry his best friend, Jasmine King.
Can't possibily last...
Fiesty city–girl Jasmine as just helping out her friend—that is, until their first kiss stirs up a whole mess of trouble, and suddenly discretion is thrown to the wind.
One hot cowboy, one riled up woman...
And they'll be married for a year, like it or not!

My Review:
A cowboy romance set in the wilds of Texas...one of my favorite things and this book did not disappoint. It was entertaining and fun and just the perfect read as a light, contemporary romance. It helped a lot that I know the part of Texas pretty well where the book was set. When we were dating, my husband (then boyfriend) lived in Altus, Okla and I lived in Lubbock, Tx. One of us drove through this section of Texas pretty much every weekend, so it was fun to go back and "visit" it through the reading of this book.

This is my first Carolyn Brown book I've read, although it is number 4 in this series. As such, there were a LOT of characters in this book, and I will admit, I got completely lost trying to keep track of who was who. But I loved both Ace and Jasmine so much, it honestly didn't matter about all the others. I LOVED these two characters. They've been best friends for over a year and it shows through in their relationship/marriage. There isn't the normal conflict that you find in romance novels with all the doubts and stress...even though neither one is really very sure about the marriage when their feelings start to develop. They maintained an honesty between them that I really liked.

The great thing about this book is that you get the best of small-town life in Texas. Ace has his ranch which is a working ranch with fully functioning bunkhouse, ranch hands, and even a few sexy brothers on hand over the summer to help out. Jasmine owns the local restaurant in town so you get glimpses of town life and the traffic through her little cafe. In the midst of all that there are the families and a holiday thrown in which rounds out the small-town feel of it all. If you like cozy, contemporary romances, this is a fun one.


I liked the way the story was set up. The marriage was Jasmine's idea entirely after Ace finds out he has one week left on a two year deadline to get married (that he didn't know about) to get to keep his ranch he inherited from his grandfather. They plan to get married, turn the marriage license to the lawyer, and then quietly get divorced a year later without ever telling anyone else they got married. That plan is blown away when they are the 5000th couple to get married in this particular Las Vegas chapel and they make the national news. Surprise! Suddenly they find themselves in the middle of a real marriage. Like I said, what really made this work for me was the fact that they are good friends. When the dynamic between them starts to change, they talk about it, like they've always talked about everything. It's really well-done!


There were a couple of little things that bothered me about the book: too many characters and I got lost, but that is easily remedied by reading the rest in this series (on my wish list as we speak.) There were also moments when the phrasing used was just so over-the-top hokey, but for the most part, I could just ignore that. ;o) It was a fun book to read and I will definitely be picking up some more Carolyn Brown books soon....

No comments: