Monday, April 16, 2012

North Of Heartbreak by Julie Rowe

Title:  North Of Heartbreak
Author: Julie Rowe
My Rating: B




Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: -
Main Characters: Willa and Liam
Release Date: April 2012
ISBN: ebook
Publisher: Carina Press
Links to Purchase:
Amazon  

Sexual Intensity: spicy


I received this book from the publisher in return for an honest review.

Story Overview:
Since her divorce, Willa Hayes has thrown herself into her work as a nurse practitioner in the remote town of Stony Creek, Alaska. She's regained her self-confidence and her heart is almost healed. Then her newfound peace is shaken by the arrival of sexy flyboy Liam Reynolds. Willa can't deny she's instantly, intensely attracted to him—even if she's convinced he's yet another Mr. Wrong.
Liam has his own reasons for fleeing to the isolation of the north, and a relationship is the last thing he wants. He wasn't counting on being drawn to the pretty nurse who accompanies patients on his flights to southern hospitals.
Fortunately, the temptation—and the desire to avoid anything serious—is mutual. So the pair comes up with an arrangement: sensual, steamy, no-strings fun. But when things heat up on a cold Alaskan night, the rules of the game may change forever...

My Review:
I love the setting for this book. Willa is the medical responder for several small Alaska towns. She gets to them through daily flights and Liam is her new pilot. Just the whole aspect of the medical response needed in the Alaskan wilderness was completely fascinating and I loved this insight into it through Willa and Liam's story.

I also really enjoyed their story. They've both been incredibly hurt by other relationships and neither one is willing to open themselves up to that again. What they are willing to do, is have a little fun together because their chemistry is good....really good.I liked how these two related to each other and after a fairly rocky start begin to truly work as a team on medical missions and emergencies. Their friendship and partnership is real and for me, that's a great basis for a romantic story line.

I liked the addition of Liam's uncle Jason. He added a great dimension to the story line, especially since he's one of Willa's trusted friends. On the other hand, I wish Edward, Liam's dad, had been left out. I felt like his part just added confusion. 

There was a plot twist at the end of the book which I wish had been done differently. It made the book just a little too cliche. Call me a romantic, but I like my Hero and Heroine to realize their love is real without story line twists like this. But despite that, I felt like this was a good book. I really enjoyed it and definitely became immersed in the story. I am quickly becoming a fan of Julie Rowe's writing!




About the Author
Julie Rowe’s first career as a medical lab technologist in Canada took her to the North West Territories and northern Alberta, where she still resides. She loves to include medical details in her romance novels, but admits she’ll never be able to write about all her medical experiences because, “No one would believe them!” 
A double Golden Heart finalist 2006, Julie has two books out with Carina Press: ICEBOUND and NORTH OF HEARTBREAK. Her writing has also appeared in several magazines such as Today’s Parent, Reader’s Digest (Canada), and Canadian Living. She currently facilitates communication workshops for her local city college. You can reach her at www.julieroweauthor.com or on Twitter @julieroweauthor .

1 comment:

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

Great review!

I love books set in Alaska so I will have to check this one out. I am with you on intense situations (not sure what the plot twist is but this is a typical one) causing people to realize their love. I like it to be more organic than that.