Thursday, April 5, 2012

Lover Reborn by J.R. Ward

Title:  Lover Reborn
Author: J.R. Ward
My Rating: A-


Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: Black Dagger Brotherhood #10
Main Characters: Tohr and No'One
Release Date: March 2012
ISBN: 978-0451235848
Publisher: Penguin



Links to Purchase:

Amazon  



Sexual Intensity: hot


Story Overview:
Ever since the death of his shellan, Tohrment has been unrecognizable from the vampire leader he once was. Physically emaciated and heartbroken beyond despair, he has been brought back to the Brotherhood by a self-serving fallen angel. Now, fighting once again with ruthless vengeance, he is unprepared to face a new kind of tragedy.

When Tohr begins to see his beloved in his dreams—trapped in a cold, isolated netherworld far from the peace and tranquillity of the Fade—he turns to the angel in hopes of saving the one he has lost. But because Lassiter tells him he must learn to love another to free his former mate, Tohr knows they are all doomed....

Except then a female with a shadowed history begins to get through to him. Against the backdrop of the raging war with the lessers, and with a new clan of vampires vying for the Blind King’s throne, Tohr struggles between the buried past and a very hot, passion-filled future…but can his heart let go and set all of them free?

My Review:
There are times when I hate the fact that I write reviews because it is just too overwhelming to go over the details of a book...and there are other times that the whole process is a cathartic release for me to let go of the emotional brunt impact that a book has made on me. It's still up in the air, which one of these I am feeling today as I try to write this review.

Like everyone else who's read this series, I simply love this world. J.R. Ward is brilliant... and sometimes I honestly worry about her sanity. Hehe. Her characters are so rich and so full and so complex...everything about them is so 3-dimensional, although I cannot ever imagining meeting ANY of these people in real life. The books are brilliant and, love them or hate them, they are incredibly riveting reading. 

I've debated and debated how to write this review because anything I write about the book would almost have to reveal spoilers and I don't want to do that, so I am just going to do a brief rundown of the main characters and my feelings about them throughout this book....

*Tohr- ouch, I knew this was going to be a heartbreaking book, but OMG. Yes, I absolutely cried throughout this book. (how could you not?) I was surprised by how sexual he was when he finally got to that point...um, wow, serious smexy going on here. I still am not 100% behind him and No'One...definitely NOT my favorite couple of the group, but I do like how JR Ward wrote their story. It was very rich and believable, and I liked the slow build-up of it over a year's time especially with their history. It was touched on, but I wish his devastation when she committed suicide (the first time they knew each other) had been touched on more thoroughly. I think I could have gotten behind their romance a bit more if it had been. I did really like that he was always completely upfront about where he was emotionally with No'One.

*No'One- I have a problem with her character. Even just her name points to the fact that she's in such a dark place emotionally. And the way that she always just wanted to serve and fade into the background. This is someone constantly paying a self-enforced penance and I never really felt like she honestly moved past that point, regardless of what was said at the end. I just never felt like she grew any here or recovered any. Her story arc just didn't do it for me.

*Lassiter- LOVE HIM!! He has an amazing character arc in this book. Over and over, he's trying to help and it doesn't work. I really felt for him and he wondered over and over again how in the world he ended up with this job when he's so incredibly bad at it. His comments had me cracking up, but at the same time he became so emotionally bonded with Tohr and his emotional pain. Honestly, the scenes between Lassiter and Tohr were some of my most favorite moments in the book. 

*John and Xhex- I just really don't enjoy Xhex's character so I didn't really like these portions of the books. Personally, I find it really hard to believe in their relationship when things are immediately so bad between them, regardless of the chemistry they have.

*Xcor- I like him. I know that he is really an awful bad guy, but he has these moments where he overcomes the absolutely awful upraising he had to had at the Bloodletter's hand. His regret and self-punishment in this book over his actions with Throe just made me love him. There is good in him and it's going to come out...*my prediction*

*Layla and Qhuinn- I didn't think I would ever say it, but I like the way this played out. It worked for me, but the main reason it worked for me is because they're friends...that's it and they both know that, regardless of what happened.

*Qhuinn and Blay- I cannot wait...come on J.R. Ward...it's time!

*Saxton- I don't like him because I want Blay to be with Qhuinn, but he has such an incredible understanding of Blay's feelings when you know it has to be killing him. You can't help but to admire him.


So where does that leave me in my rating? The book was incredible like they always are. When I compare it to other books I read, there really is no comparison...A++, but then I think about where this rates in the rest of the series. This isn't my favorite book. It's honestly not even in the top three, but it was an incredibly good and extremely entertaining read. I think, for me, it earns an A-, but it could possibly land in one of my top 10 reads of the year for me. I know, something just isn't right about that....

btw, this did end up being one of those cathartic reviews. I feel better for talking about it.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I love Lassiter in this book too. He was brilliant. I think No'One will be stronger in future books since her 'awakening' came really late in the book. I do like JM and Xhex a lot (she's a kick ass chick, what can I say ;) but I would have liked for them to have more than 3 days of wedded bliss before trouble arose. And as you know, I too like Layla and Qhuinn...and now I must go hide so I don't get pelleted with stones by hardcore Qhuay fans lol. And Saxton is well done. I wonder how he'll be in the next book...
I really like how you wrote your review. Sometimes you just can't write your 'usual' reviews - I totally get that. :)

Christi Snow said...

Thanks Julie! ;o)