Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Fearless by Cheryl Douglas

Title:  Fearless
Author: Cheryl Douglas
My Rating: C+

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Nashville Nights #2
Main Characters: Lexi and Josh
Release Date: April 2012
ISBN: e-book
Publisher: self-pub


Links to Purchase:

Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: spicy



This book was provided to me by the author in return for an honest review.



Story Overview:
Fearless

Book Two Nashville Nights Series
By Cheryl Douglas

Lexi Brooks has overcome adversity to build a successful real estate business that will enable her live life on her terms. The life she envisions includes travel, fun, and excitement, not marriage, kids or commitment. But will Trey’s sexy bodyguard throw a wrench into her plans?

Being a cop taught Josh Cooper to take calculated risks, but he’s tired of living with the daily threat of danger. He’s ready to settle down with someone who wants to be a step-mother to his two teenage sons. Too bad Lexi isn’t that woman. She’s smart, sexy, and head-strong, and they’re totally in sync in the bedroom, but she isn’t willing to ‘settle’ for a life of domestic bliss. Or is she?

My Review:
This is a tough book to review, because although I enjoyed the book and I ADORE all these characters, I personally had issues with the main conflict of the book. I found it really hard to believe. Lexi is Sierra's little sister. Sierra was the heroine from book #1, Shameless (that review was up yesterday.) Josh is a former cop and third degree black belt who acts as head of Trey's security. Trey was the hero of Shameless.


Josh and Lexi have been friends for a long time...good friends and they are both fighting an attraction to each other because they want different things from a relationship. Josh is 40 and is ready to get married again. He has 16 yo twin boys, but he wants more kids. He wants a white picket fence again. Lexi grew up with an abusive father and even though she said she never would, fell into an abusive relationship which ended badly. After that, she swore she never wanted to become that deeply involved again. She simply wants sex and fun...no long-term relationships.


My issue with this book is Lexi's reasoning. As a reader, I just wasn't buying it. She was engaged to this abusive jerk...and yes, she made a mistake. But she's best friends with Josh. She knows absolutely that he is not like that. And she's already gone past the point of no-return...she's fallen in love with him. He knows it. She knows it. Why not get involved?? It's like she thinks she's going to wake up one morning and he's going to be a different person. They are already involved for all practical purposes...just not sleeping together. I just didn't get it. I know the author needed conflict to keep these two apart, but this just didn't work for me. I could even almost buy it if she was flat-out anti-marriage, especially with her parents history, but she'd been engaged to the abusive jerk, so she obviously believes that marriage can work.


Can you tell? This was a huge sticking point for me because it was the main conflict for the entire book. 


That and there are a few details in the book that just didn't make sense to me....
*The whole "I love you" scene from Lexi...or should I say scenes? Because it happens twice and the second time around, it's written in the book like the first never happened.
*And did I miss it?? I don't think we ever got to hear the verdict on the murder trial for the ex. Surely it was in there and I just somehow skimmed over it when it was late and I was reading because that was kind of a huge part of the book. 


It's just the little details that can ruin a book. 


BUT OMG, I maintain that I love this series. I know...right?!? But this group of friends are such likable characters (yes, even Josh and Lexi...I did really like them). I really like all the characters and I love the group dynamic between them. There were a couple of new characters introduced in this book that I loved and I cannot wait for Marisa and Luc's book. 




About the Author



It took me thirty-seven years to decide what I wanted to be when I grew up. I thought I'd found my calling. In fact, I worked as a nutritionist for twelve years before I finally admitted to myself that while I enjoyed my work, I couldn't imagine doing it for the next thirty years.
My sub-conscious knew that I wanted to be a writer long before the conscious part of my mind decided to get with the program. While my sub-conscious was hard at work creating character profiles, plots and storylines, my conscious mind was telling me it was crazy to give up a successful business on the off-chance one of my manuscripts might rise to the top of someone's never-ending slush pile. After years of listening to that negative voice, I was finally ready to stop making excuses, face the fear and follow my dream of becoming a full-time writer, no matter the outcome. I'm so thankful I did.

I love bringing my characters to life and I am so grateful to have readers who love those characters as much as I do.

When I take a break from writing it's to spend time with my husband (a.k.a. my real life hero), my son, and my writing partner, Tia, a spirited Havanese who enjoys tapping her paw on my keyboard whenever I need a little comic relief.

No comments: