Thursday, April 26, 2012

Bared to You by Sylvia Day

Title:  Bared To You
Author: Sylvia Day
My Rating: A

Genre: Erotic Romance
Series: Crossfire #1
Main Characters: Eva and Gideon
Release Date: April 2012
ISBN: 978-0985114602
Publisher: Sylvia Day
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: erotic


I received a copy of this book from the author and NetGalley in return for an honest review.

Story Overview:
Gideon Cross came into my life like lightning in the darkness—beautiful and brilliant, jagged and white-hot. I was drawn to him as I'd never been to anything or anyone in my life. I craved his touch like a drug, even knowing it would weaken me. I was flawed and damaged, and he opened those cracks in me so easily...

Gideon knew. He had demons of his own. And we would become the mirrors that reflected each other's most private wounds... and desires.

The bonds of his love transformed me, even as I prayed that the torment of our pasts didn't tear us apart...

My Review:
Once again, I find myself with huge bags under my eyes because I stayed up way too late from becoming immersed in a wonderful book. I need to learn not to pick up the good ones late at night...LOL! And this was an amazingly good book, although I will admit I have a slight addendum to that statement at the end of this review.

This book is about the romance between Eva and Gideon Cross. Eva has just moved to NYC with her best friend Cary from San Diego. She and Cary are both wounded, flawed characters who met in a support group. They have formed this friendship which has made them both stronger. They have become each other's support group because they know each other's history and their "triggers". Cary is a self-destructive, bi-sexual male, but I really liked his character and how he would call Eva on things when she was reacting. They're very good for each other.

Immediately upon starting her new job, Eva meets Gideon. He's the owner of the building that she works in and she is immediately overwhelmed by his sexuality and power. He also feels a draw to her and propositions her almost immediately and extremely bluntly for sex. She turns him down flat. There are hints early on about her sexual abuse and that is a lot of her reasoning for staying away from him. She's obviously been through a lot of therapy and sees the warning signs of a relationship which is going to be bad for her mental state. But of course, you know there can't be a book if there's no relationship so she doesn't stay away from him for long.

The problem...Gideon has his own sexual and mental scars, but it doesn't seem that he's been to therapy over them. There are still lots of issues here for him and you honestly never find out in this first book exactly what has happened to him. But as the reader, what you see of his nightmares are chilling. There are a couple of scenes where he is caught up in a nightmare, which are just so heartbreaking and foreboding.

There is a ton of emotional depth to this story just because the Hero/heroine have such difficult emotional depths to them. It makes their relationship extremely volatile...both sexually and mentally. The writing on this is amazing and the entire book was completely riveting. I really loved the book and cannot wait until the next book in this series comes out because their story is nowhere close to being finished yet.

My addendum:
I read the Fifty Shades Trilogy about ten days ago (my reviews will go up on the 30th) and couldn't help but notice the marked similarities between these books. That makes me slightly uncomfortable. The Fifty Shades author has been very upfront about the fact that Fifty Shades is fanfic of Twilight (although I truly don't see it...LOL.) I would just feel better about this book if there was some nod towards the Fifty Shades inspiration. 

As a writer, I can attest to the fact that writing a book is difficult. I don't care what kind of framework you are working around, it's difficult to get those words onto paper and do it well. This author has built a brilliant book that I loved, but she did it with someone else's framework. I just wish that was acknowledged somewhere. It would make me feel less guilty about enjoying this book and looking forward to the next book in the series.

1 comment:

Vanessa Buzeta said...

I love your review, I definitely want to check out this novel now. That is a good point you make at the end. I think any inspiration should be acknowledged.