Thursday, March 29, 2012

Tempted by Elisabeth Naughton



Title:  Tempted
Author: Elisabeth Naughton
My Rating: A-


Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: Eternal Guardians #3
Main Characters: Demitrius and Isadora
Release Date: September 2011
ISBN978-1402260469
Publisher: Sourcebooks

Links to Purchase:
Amazon  

Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
DEMETRIUS-He's the hulking, brooding warrior even his fellow Guardians avoid. Too dark. Too damaged. And given his heritage, he knows it's best to keep everyone at arm's length.

Isadora is missing. The words pound through his head like a frantic drumbeat. For her own protection, Demetrius did all he could to avoid the fragile princess, his soul mate. And now she's gone-kidnapped. To get her back, he'll have to go to the black place in his soul he's always shunned.
As daemons ravage the human realm and his loyalty to the Guardians is put to the ultimate test, Demetrius realizes that Isadora is stronger than anyone thought.
And finally letting her into his heart may be the only way to save them both.

My Review:
This is book #3 in this series. I haven't read the first two and there is a LOT of Greek mythology throughout this book. While I can't say that I was ever truly confused, I have a feeling that there were lots of details that just kind of flew past me in this book because I haven't read the first two books and don't understand all the character dynamics for this series yet and exactly how they all play into the mythology. Nevertheless, I did enjoy this book alot. I started it late in the evening and ended up staying up until it was finished, although that hadn't been my intention when I started it.

This book is about Demitrius. He's an Argonaut Guardian. From what I understand the Guardians are cursed with having a single mate throughout their lifetime (this is one of those things I didn't quite get...how exactly that was a curse). He's been aware that his mate is Isadora for over 100 years, but because of a secret that he's hiding, he's never let her know. In fact, he's worked that whole time to make sure that she hates him. He knows that she deserves better than him. This detail in his story line just made my heart ache. He wants her so much for himself, but he continually does things to hurt her so that she won't like him. Talk about self-sacrifice...OMG!

Isadora is supposed to be the next Queen and is destined to mate with one of the Guardians. It sounds like she's been fully in the mix of all three of these books as the potential mates to the heroes (i.e. she's been promised to marry them via her father the king, but they ended up finding their true mates.) Because I haven't read the other two books in this series, I had a hard time nailing down exactly what kind of character Isadora is. Demitrius is constantly referring to her as a pampered princess, but because of their circumstances, I didn't know if he did that just to maintain his distance or if she is a bit spoiled. He did do a LOT of the work while she was passed out during this book...hehe. But at the end, you know that she may have once been a spoiled princess (like I said...maybe. I never could get a handle on if she was actually spoiled or not) but by the end of the story, you know that she's going to be an incredible ruler. Regardless of where she started, she has an inspiring character arc over the course of the story.

What worked incredibly well in this book was the Guardians and the relationships between them. This is another one of those series where there are a team of warriors who all have to work together and have a bond like brothers. In the Guardians, there are seven men. The glimpses of them in this book together were amazing. There is a scene at the end of the book where everything is going REALLY BAD and they are all being forced to do something truly awful to Demitrius. Their emotional pain is palpable and that scene was nothing short of incredible. There were other portions that left me completely intrigued...specifically the story with Gryphon and Orpheus. It makes me really excited for book 4 in this series.

Like I said this is the first book that I've read in this series, but everything about it made me a fan. If you like series like the BDB, Lords of the Underworld, or Dark Hunters, I think that you will enjoy this series by Elisabeth Naughton...a LOT!

1 comment:

Mariana Pereira Bezerra said...

I still need to start this series but from your review it does sounds amazing and the mythology part is my favorite.
Great review by the way!