Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Restorer by Amanda Stevens



Title:  The Restorer
Author: Amanda Stevens
My Rating: A


Genre: Horror/Urban Fantasy
Series: The Graveyard Queen #1
Main Characters: Amelia and Devlin
Release Date: February 2012
ISBN9780778314004
Publisher: Mira
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: mild

Story Overview:
Never acknowledge the dead.
Never stray far from hallowed ground.

Never get close to the haunted.
Never, ever tempt fate.
My name is Amelia Gray. I'm a cemetery restorer who sees ghosts. In order to protect myself from the parasitic nature of the dead, I've always held fast to these rules passed down from my father…until now.
Detective John Devlin needs my help to find a killer, but he is haunted by ghosts who shadow his every move. To warn him would be to invite them into my life. I've vowed to keep my distance, but the pull of his magnetism grows ever stronger even as the headstone symbols lead me closer to truth and to the gossamer veil that separates this world from the next.




My Review:


The first line of this book sets the feel for the entire story...
"I was nine when I saw my first ghost."

Creepy.
Eerie.
Spooky.
Haunting.

This book is all these things and more. This story is about Amelia and she lives with seeing ghosts every day. When she started seeing the ghosts, her father taught her several rules for her life...
1. Never acknowledge the dead.
2. Never stray too far from hallowed ground.
3. Keep your distance from those who are haunted. 
4. Never, ever tempt fate.

Amelia works as a cemetery restorer. When a murder victim is found in the cemetery where she's currently working, she's suddenly faced with breaking all the rules that she has based her life on. And the reason for that boils down to a single person, John Devlin...the lead investigator whom she is undeniably drawn to, despite the fact that he's haunted by his wife and little girl's ghosts. Huge rule-breaking of Rule #3 here.

The book is told entirely from Amelia's point of view and I never thought I would say this because I am not normally a horror fan, but this book was so good. I never knew what to expect or where the story was going. It kept me guessing at the same time it kept giving me shivers of dread. It was so eerily creepy and so well done. I am a romance junkie and while there are undertones of a possible romance throughout the course of the story, this is a book really about the murder mystery and the breakdown of Amelia's life rules and the results that come from that. 


Like I said, I am NOT a horror fan, but I absolutely LOVED this book. I cannot wait to read books 2 and 3 that come out over the next couple of months. This book left a TON of unanswered questions and I need to know what's going to happen. But no worries...this is not a cliffhanger book. There are just still lots of things/relationships that are unresolved. I loved this one!!!

2 comments:

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

I really enjoyed this one too! I didn't expect to but it really kind of rocked my socks off :)

Vanessa theJeepDiva said...

My friend Tricia has been on me to read this book. I've purchased it. I'm halfway there. Great to see another whose opinion I trust enjoyed it.