Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Night Reigns (audiobook) by Dianne Duvall

Title: Darkness Dawns
Author: Dianne Duvall
My Rating: A-
Narrator: Kirsten Potter



Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: Immortal Guardians #2
Main Characters: Marcus and Ami
Release Date: December 2011
ISBNaudiobook
Publisher: Tantor Media 
Links to Purchase:

Amazon (audible edition)
Sexual Intensity: hot


Story Overview:
Ami isn't much for trusting strangers. She has a hard time trusting anyone. But she's no coward, and she's no pushover in the protection department either. So when she comes across a mysterious warrior taking on eight deranged vampires on his own, she doesn't hesitate to save his bacon. Of course, that was before she realized what one little rescue would get her into . . .Marcus Graden has been an Immortal protector of humanity for eight hundred years, and he's not interested in backup. From the moment Ami arrives in his life, he can't deny that she's strong, smart, and extremely skilled at watching his back. But she's also destroying his protective solitude and stirring desires he can't bear to awaken. After all, whatever her secrets-how can she defeat death itself?

My Review:
My complaint about audiobooks....I can read a book in a single evening. With the limited amount of time I can listen to an audiobook, it usually takes a week to get through the book. I had to really work at my self-control with this one. When I was about 2 hours into the 12 1/2 hours of audio, I got the print copy of it in (it was on sale online and I knew I wanted it in my permanent library, so I bought a copy of the book.) The problem with that was....I really wanted to just pick up the book and finish it, but I exerted my VERY LIMITED self control and stayed with the audio version. Are you getting the idea? This book was another fabulous edition into this series that I can already see is going to be a favorite on my shelves. 

I have fallen in LOVE with all the characters...Roland & Sara (the couple from book 1), Seth (the leader of the Immortal Guardians), David (the second-in-command), Darnell, Bastion (the Immortal outcast), Etienne/Lisette/Richart (French sibling Immortals), Chris Reordan (the human fix-it-all/cleaner.)

This particular book though is about Marcus and Ami. Marcus is an 800 year old Immortal. Eight years ago, the woman that he's loved almost all of those 800 years became lost to him and he's been in mourning ever since then.

Ami was found by Seth and David in the last book. They found her by following her silent screams as she was tortured for months until they finally located her. She's a huge mystery. At the end of book #1, we knew that there was something more to her, but no clue as to what that was. Because Marcus is getting more and more careless with his life, Seth places Ami with him as his Second. He's hoping that by doing so, Marcus will have something else in his life to focus on besides his own misery. Seth didn't count on them falling in love. 

I like the way this relationship developed. Marcus is NOT happy to have Ami with him, but she is one tough chick and will not let him push her out of his life. This is a huge thing for her because at the end of the last book, she wouldn't even talk to anyone she was so scared and traumatized from what happened to her. She's just as intimidated by Marcus, but she never lets him see it. The scenes with her at the beginning of their relationship...OMG, I loved her gumption and strength!

And once Marcus begins to realize what an incredible person she is, he can't help but admire her too. There are several times in this book where things aren't revealed and Ami pays the price. All of these guys become really, super protective of her. I found it ironic how protective they all are of her, but she continued to get really hurt over and over again. Then they would attack each other for letting her get hurt...again.

I have to admit though, I was slightly let down by the reveal of Ami's secret. It just seemed out of place in this series, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out. Then there is Seth's secret...we got a huge couple of clues about that in this book and I have a theory. We'll see.

I am so excited about book #3 which I believe to be Bastion's story. My heart aches for him. He has spent 200 years thinking of himself as a vampire and trying to save the vampire race when he is instead an Immortal. The other Immortals don't trust him and he has such a good heart. Already I am ready for his story. I have a feeling it's going to be really emotional and you all know that I love those!

And once again, I LOVE Kirsten Potter as the narrator. I will always hear her voice and accents when I think of these characters. She's a wonderful narrator!

3 comments:

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

I know what you mean----I wanted to read ahead but alas you can't make the narrator read faster! I think Kirsten did a wonderful job and I am anxious to see how Ami's origins play into the whole thing.

Ahhh Bastian :) :) :)

Mariana Pereira Bezerra said...

Another series that I discovered today on your blog, this is so not good! Where I'm going to find time is beyond me but seams like you really loved those Immortals and the plot is like Midnight Breed, so I'll buy the first one.

Natalie said...

I have not long finished these two books and can not wait for Bastian's story!!! I didn't mind Ami's secret too much...it worked for me in the sense that get to be together and time is not their enemy :).