Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins




Title: MockingJay
Author: Suzanne Collins
My Rating: A++

Genre: YA- Sci Fi/Fantasy
Series: Hunger Games #3
Main Characters: Katniss
Release Date: August 2010
Publisher: Scholastic

ISBN978-0439023511
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: g-rated

Story Overview:
Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge. Who do they think should pay for the unrest? Katniss. And what's worse, President Snow has made it clear that no one else is safe either. Not Katniss's family, not her friends, not the people of District 12. Powerful and haunting, this thrilling final installment of Suzanne Collins's groundbreaking The Hunger Games trilogy promises to be one of the most talked about books of the year.


My Review:


Emotionally shattered.


That's me right now.


OMG.


I hit the midway point of this book and pretty much bawled my way through the last half of it. OMG...six hours after finishing it, and I still could dissolve into tears if I think about it too much. This book is tough. There is a ton going on and all of it is extremely emotional. Like the other two books in this series, Katniss is at the heart of this story. Unfortunately, life hasn't gotten any easier for her and she spends much of the book on the verge of a nervous breakdown, but with good reason. Honestly, I was just READING about her life and I felt like I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown by the end.


This is just such a hard book. There is so much that is heartbreaking throughout the story. All the districts are in chaos, Peeta is being held and tortured by President Snow, friends and family are dying. Even the things that should be uplifting aren't because the new regime is showing signs that it's going to be just as bad as the one the rebels are trying to throw over. And through it all...people are dying. They are dying because of a revolution that Katniss started even though she never meant to do it.


But, for me, the most heartbreaking story line in the book was the breakdown of Peeta's feelings for Katniss, after his torture and brainwashing. There is not a single interaction between the two of them in this book that didn't leave me in a slobbering, crying mess....for her, for him. It's just so heartbreaking. And in the midst of it all, she is still trying to do her job and do the right thing....although he has always been the one who acts as her compass. She needs him. And even though he doesn't remember it, he needs her too. *sob* God, this story line just KILLED ME!!


Then there are all the wonderful side characters. There is Finnick. Everything about his story is tragic including what happened to him after he won his games. When I got to the shocker with his character, I was crying so hard that I actually scared my 4 yo. Yes, I kind of got into this story. And Haymitch. His character changed and evolved so much through this series, although at the end he has dissolved once again into his liquor bottle. But there is a moment in this book when he is counseling Katniss and how she is handling Peeta...so absolutely perfect. This book says so much about the emotional toll that death takes on our psyches. There is not a single one of these contestants from the Hunger Games that aren't deeply and permanently scarred from their experiences. This book shows a lot about the fact that we think it's our bodies that are in danger, but it's our souls that we take we take the most risk with when we go into battle. I could go on and on...Boggs, Darius. It makes me sob just to think about them.


Real? or not real? OMG!!


For a book to move me to this extreme...it's an incredible book. Even when I was cursing why I ever let everyone convince me to read this series (yes, I actually hit that point during this book,) I was marveling at how incredible the story is. And it is a good story, even when it's dark and depressing. It makes you think about society and why our governments act the way that they do. Why we as people act the way that we do. Sometimes you have to wonder how close are we to becoming the monsters that run the governments in these books. 


And on a smaller level, you look at Katniss with both Peeta and Gale. There was never any doubt in my mind that she loves both of them. I also never had any doubt about which one was the better match for her, but she is constantly questioning her feelings for both of them and her motivation. She has grown up in a very different world that has taught her not to feel or to trust. That makes it so hard for her to give in to her feelings for either of these guys. And the sad thing about her is that she is even aware of that and how much she's hurting both of them...which she hates. You have to remember, at the end of this book, she is only 17 years old...and just so traumatized. My heart and soul just hurts for her.


But again, back to the heart of this story...this book/s is about Katniss and her inability to give up or give in. She's incredibly strong...even in the face of some absolutely horrifying adversity. I loved reading her story at the same time I hated it because of the emotional turmoil it put me through. I can't imagine how these books are going to play out in the movie theater. I will be very impressed and surprised if they will actually be able to convey the emotions of these characters sufficiently on screen to even touch the quality of the books. We will see....

No comments: