Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Kingdom by Amanda Stevens



Title:  The Kingdom
Author: Amanda Stevens
My Rating: A


Genre: Horror
Series: The Graveyard Queen #2
Main Characters: Amelia
Release Date: March 2012
ISBN9780778312772
Publisher: Mira



Links to Purchase:
Amazon  



Sexual Intensity: mild

I received a copy of this book from the publisher and NetGalley in return for an honest review.

Story Overview:
Deep in the shadowy foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains lies a dying town…
My name is Amelia Gray. They call me The Graveyard Queen. I've been commissioned to restore an old cemetery in Asher Falls, South Carolina, but I'm coming to think I have another purpose here.
Why is there a cemetery at the bottom of Bell Lake? Why am I drawn time and again to a hidden grave I've discovered in the woods? Something is eating away at the soul of this town—this withering kingdom—and it will only be restored if I can uncover the truth.

My Review:
I just finished The Restorer and then moved right into this book, but still this book managed to surprise me. It took a completely unexpected turn away from Amelia's relationship with Devlin and into the mystery of Amelia's past. In fact, besides mentions, you don't see Devlin at all in this book. If there was a single thing that I could complain about here, it would be that fact. 

But besides that fact, this book was amazing. It was even more chilling, even more creepy than the first book. At the 52% mark of the book, I actually experienced a full-body shudder with the pure creepiness and evil in this book. OMG...I can't believe how much I loved that about the book. Have I mentioned how much I am NOT a horror girl, but this book is so good!! It's all so well done, you can't help but to love it at the same time you worry about the faces you will see in the window that night. LOL!

In this book, Amelia has moved to a new cemetery restoration out of Charleston. Immediately upon entering the town, Amelia feels the draw to it and the fact that there is something different about this town and her reaction to it. I slowly started figuring out where the story was going, but each time, it was only a few pages before the shocker was revealed. This is definitely a book that keeps you guessing and turning the page simply to find out what in the world is going on. So good.


There is also a new love interest, but like Amelia's relationship with Devlin, there are roadblocks with Thane...one of the most serious being that Amelia is not ready to give up on Devlin. This was an intriguing aspect to the story and I really like the way this ended. I am sitting on pins and needles for book #3...I NEED IT NOW! 


There is a whole new cast of characters to this story and a whole new set of mysteries. I highly recommend this series. It's simply riveting reading. There are tiny elements of romance, but overall these books are about the suspense and horror that comes from Amelia's other senses. They are creepy and fun and just entertaining reading.

1 comment:

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

YEAH! I am so looking forward to reading this. I love Amanda's writing!