Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins



Title:  Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins
My Rating: A+



Genre: YA - Sci Fi/Fantasy
Series: Hunger Games #1
Main Characters: Katniss 
Release Date: July 2010
ISBN978-0439023528
Publisher: Scholastic


Links to Purchase:


Sexual Intensity: g-rated


Story Overview:
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games," a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed.


My Review:
Okay, it's no secret that everyone and their brother has already read this book, so there really isn't much I can say in a book review that will be anything even remotely new or entertaining. Obviously, now I am a fan and I can say (along with the rest of the world)...If you haven't read these books, you need to. NOW!


I bought these books for my teenage son and he read them ages ago (and LOVED them) and has been bugging me to read them ever since. So, as a little something different, we're going to do a joint review for this book. 


Let me introduce you to Jacob, my 17 year old...
Jacob: Hi!


Christi: For me, what made this book so good, was Peeta's character. As a romance reader, I grabbed onto his emotion for Katniss. It's heartbreaking in how true it is. He's honestly willing to die so she can live. During the game, it's like his whole goal is to keep her safe and nothing else. How can you not become a pile of mush over that? 


Jacob, what character did you like best in the book?


Jacob: I like Katniss. She had something different about her. I loved her independence. She took care of herself.


Christi: Honestly, I was shocked at the twist in the rules of the game. I was dying to skip ahead throughout the entire book to find out how it was going to go. I was dying and didn't hardly put the book down from start to finish. 


Jacob did you have that same issue? I don't even know...are you a back-page reader?


Jacob: No, I am not a back-page reader, wasn't even tempted.


Christi: Every time Katniss made a move in the game simply to get reward, I inwardly cringed. I know she was simply trying to survive, but I knew that it was going to come back to haunt her especially with Peeta. What did you think about her acting it up for the cameras, Jacob? 


Jacob: She was trying to survive. It's not her fault.


Christi: There are details about this world that add so much to it and the feelings behind it. The whole story with the Mockingjays and Rue just broke my heart. Obviously, the mockingjays are a symbol that are going to be used throughout the books (just look at the covers and you can see that.) But I think that Rue is also a symbol of the way that the districts can work together against this horrible government that they are all subjected to. This is where you have the advantage over me, Jacob, because you have already read all three books and know what's coming. But trying to separate what you know is coming, what did you think about Rue's story line and the cooperative that she formed with Katniss?


Jacob: It was sad. Poor Rue.


Christi: Jacob, you are basically the same age as Katniss & Peeta. So I am going to ask you to give us some teenage perspective.


What do you see is the hardest part of life for these teenagers who live in the districts?


Jacob: Having to survive on their own.


Could you ever imagine our world coming to the point where we watch teenagers kill each other as entertainment?


Jacob: I hope not.


Each of the teenagers showed different skills: cunning, speed, weapons, strength, etc. If you had to enter this type of competition, what would be your skill set do you think?


Jacob: I'm good at archery.


Who are you taking to see this movie? Me or your girlfriend?


Jacob: probably my girlfriend (if I have one at the time...I hope I do.)


Any last thoughts...


It's a great series. I loved it. The movies should be interesting when they come out.

No comments: