Sunday, March 18, 2012

Bad Medicine by J.D. Faver

Title:  Bad Medicine
Author: J.D. Faver
My Rating: A

Genre: Romantic Suspense
Series: The Borderland #1
Main Characters: Chloe and Rafael
Release Date: March 2012
ISBN: e-book
Publisher: self-pubbed
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot


I received a  copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

Story Overview:
BAD MEDICINE: 94k word mystery/suspense/romantic thriller Unable to escape her past, Chloe Palmer returns to the Texas coast for her murdered father’s funeral and to face Rafael Solis, the man she left behind. Rafael never gave up hoping for Chloe’s return. She inherits her father’s shrimp boat and irascible crew, enabling her to make a living. Rafael’s passion breaks down her emotional barriers, but her impetuous nature draws her into a cruel vortex where she runs afoul of old and new enemies. Previous rivalries emerge, pitting Rafael against the heir-apparent to a crime dynasty. With the body count rising, Rafael and Chloe battle an infatuated but vicious drug lord, kidnappers, and a twisted curandero (Mexican healer). Will they survive the violence and be able to forge a life together? 

My Review:
The author sent me this book while I was on vacation with my family. At the time, I was reading another book (and spending quality time with my family), but opened up the e-book just to check it out. From that moment on, every few minutes I got free, I spent with my nose in my Kindle because this book was irresistible. Once I started it, I could not put it down.

Normally in romance, there is a conflict keeping the hero and heroine from being with each other. That wasn't the case in this book. Yes, there are definitely conflicts that could keep them from achieving their HEA, but from the moment these two come together, they are together. 

Chloe and Rafael were friends from the time they met in fifth grade. That friendship took a natural progression in high school and developed into a romantic relationship. They were totally and completely in love, but Chloe was from the wrong side of town and Rafael's parents didn't approve. His mother and sister set her up so that she would look like a thief. Rafael stood by her, but didn't have the complete faith in her to know that she would never steal. It was a momentary doubt, but it cost him everything because that night Chloe left. 

It's been 7 years since they've seen each other and Chloe has come back for her father's funeral after he was murdered. Rafael is now the town sheriff. When he sees her, he knows that he'll do whatever it takes to win her back. Chloe is willing to sleep with Rafael, but she isn't so sure that she can make a life in this town with him where she was so ostracized. They are rediscovering their love, but also trying to figure out who murdered her father. 

I loved both of the characters of Chloe and Rafael. Rafael is all-in from the moment he sees Chloe and I loved that about him. He's still a totally alpha male worried about Chloe and the danger she's putting herself in. Chloe has been completely on her own for the last 7 years and she is independent and strong-willed. She knows that she has a good thing with Rafael, but she's also realistic about the things that drove her out of town in the first place. I love that Rafael is realistic about that too and is willing to give up his life to be with her if he needs to.

In the midst of all the romance story and conflict is the huge dangers and murky waters of trying to find out who murdered Chloe's father. The suspense story line was perfectly done. I never knew from one moment to another how the story was going to turn. It kept me guessing and COMPLETELY involved with the story. It was ALL so good...both the romance and the suspense. It was just a superbly written book. I stayed on the edge of my seat and with my nose buried in the book until I got it finished...and then I was sad that it was over.

Which brings me to ask...when's the next one coming out and who is the character in it? Really hoping to see a story with Zach (he is a dolphin researcher in this book who is interested in Chloe which drives Rafael nuts) as the hero. ;o)

No comments: