Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Anorexic Start-Up by Mike Frankel


Title: The Anorexic Startup
Author: Mike Frankel
My Rating: A


Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Series: -
Main Characters: Dale Schmidt
Release Date: January 2012
Publisher: self-pub

ISBNe-book

Links to Purchase:


Sexual Intensity: g-rated


The author provided me with a copy of this book in return for an honest review.

Story Overview:
A fictional narrative for startup geeks. 
Surprised by the success of his iPhone app, programmer Dale Schmidt is thrust into an unfamiliar world of venture capital, tech conferences and PR disasters. Is he ready for any of it?


My Review:
This is a short little novella, but it is incredibly fun and funny. The book follows the journey of Dale Schmidt as he successfully develops and sells a very inventive iPhone app. Printed out, this piece was only 15 pages long, so it is very short, but it is so full of humor. I think there was something on every single page that made me laugh out loud.


I am not a tech person...AT ALL, but I use all the technologies available to me out there. I use twitter, facebook, search google, and live with my phone in my hand. This book takes a look at all those technologies out there and how they are used in marketing...for good and for bad...LOL!


The book starts at day 37 since Dale has lost his job and settled into the life of programming. He's counting down to his last pennies and working fervently to get this app developed and ready for, hopefully, Apple acceptance into their app store. When the journey ends you are at day 115 and life has changed a great deal for Dale. You follow his journey with all the many up's and down's. Almost every one left me shaking my head, at the same time I was laughing.


Like I said, I am not a Tech person, but I still loved this book. I could see the humor and enjoyed the story. This is one of those books that it's fun for everyone to read and then discuss at a party. Just a fun little narrative and well worth the $.99 because it is extremely entertaining and well-written.


BTW, you don't find out what the app is until page three...I dare you not to laugh when you find out!

No comments: