Saturday, February 11, 2012

Third Grave Dead Ahead by Darynda Jones

Title: Third Grave Dead Ahead
Author: Darynda Jones
My Rating: A+

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Charley Davidson #3
Main Characters: Charley & Reyes
Release Date: February 2012
ISBN978
-1250001542
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy


Story Overview:
Paranormal private eye. Grim reaper extraordinaire. Whatever. Charley Davidson is back! And she’s drinking copious amounts of caffeine to stay awake because, every time she closes her eyes, she sees him: Reyes Farrow, the parthuman, part-supermodel son of Satan. Yes, she did imprison him for all eternity, but come on. How is she supposed to solve a missing persons case, deal with an ego-driven doctor, calm her curmudgeonly dad, and take on a motorcycle gang hellbent on murder when the devil’s son just won’t give up?

My Review:

Whoa! What a rollercoaster ride. This book was nothing short of amazing. I think that I held my breath through at least half the book. I loved everything about this book.

First thing to know before you read this review. This is a series that you need to read every book. These are not stand-alone novels. Knowing that, this review will have some spoilers for the first two books...DO NOT READ THIS REVIEW IF YOU HAVEN'T READ BOOKS #1 & #2.

When this book starts, Reyes is seriously ticked off at Charley because she bound his spirit to his body at the end of book #2. Now he is trapped there until she falls asleep. Somehow, Charley is calling him to her immediately when she falls asleep and they have really angry corporeal/dream sex. As a result, Charley hasn't let herself fall asleep in about 2 weeks and is more than a little loopy at the beginning of this book (and she's not what anyone could consider normal on a typical day...LOL!) The moment between the two of them at the prison...remember this is the first time that she's actually seen him face to face when they were both conscious...EVER!-- that moment and his confession just broke my heart.

This is what Darynda does so well. Reyes is the son of Satan and he does some not-so-nice things. He should not be a character that you fall in love with, but OMG! How can you not fall in love with this guy?!?! He has these moments where your heart just crumbles for him...and he had several of those moments throughout this book. Of course, then there are the other moments where you just want to scream and yell at him and tell him to stay away from Charley and stop hurting her. *sob*

Did I mention that I cried in this book? Twice! But that was in between huge bouts of laughter and fun and anger. OMG, this book had it ALL!!!

And to complicate things...hmmm, there are a couple of other love prospects on the horizon for Charley. Oh my!! I honestly don't know who I even want her to end up with...that's how good this book is. It's over. The hints are there for book #4 and I don't know who I want her to be with. I ALWAYS know who I want the heroine to choose! This time...not so much. Darynda is just a brilliant writer.

This book has everything. There are the normal mysteries happening. TONS of Charley Davidson wit and snark which constantly keeps me giggling through these books. There were several swoon-worthy moment between Charley and Reyes. Some completely fantastic new characters that I love how they are adding to the story. And a fantastic friend who's been there all along with hints of more. OMG!!

Did I mention that I loved this book? I apologize for the bad grammar and awful writing. It's hard to gush and stay focused...or maybe Charley is just rubbing off on me. LOVE!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Your review made me giggle so much lol. You were right, it's full of gush. But that's the only way one can write a review for this book. Great job Christi! :)