Saturday, February 18, 2012

Some Girls Bite by Chloe Neill (audiobook)





Title: Some Girls Bite
Author: Chloe Neill
My Rating: A+
Narrator: Cynthia Holloway


Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Chicagoland Vampires #1
Main Characters: Merit
Release Date: December 2010

ISBNaudiobook

Publisher: Tantor Media 

Links to Purchase:
Amazon (audible edition)
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
First in a brand new series about a Chicago graduate student's introduction into a society of vampires.
Sure, the life of a graduate student wasn't exactly glamorous, but it was Merit's. She was doing fine until a rogue vampire attacked her. But he only got a sip before he was scared away by another bloodsucker—and this one decided the best way to save her life was to make her the walking undead.
Turns out her savior was the master vampire of Cadogan House. Now she's traded sweating over her thesis for learning to fit in at a Hyde Park mansion full of vamps loyal to Ethan “Lord o' the Manor” Sullivan. Of course, as a tall, green-eyed, four-hundred- year-old vampire, he has centuries' worth of charm, but unfortunately he expects her gratitude— and servitude. But an inconvenient sunlight allergy and Ethan's attitude are the least of her concerns. Someone's still out to get her. Her initiation into Chicago's nightlife may be the first skirmish in a war—and there will be blood.



My Review:

The more I listen to audiobooks, the more that I appreciate how they help ME to appreciate a book. I can sit down and read a book in about 4 hours, but listening to one takes about 3 times that amount of time. That added thought and reflection...and I am sure the INflection added to the characters by listening, all enhance my ability to enjoy these books so much.

Some Girls Bite definitely falls under the category of I really, really enjoyed this book! OMG, I love this story. I love the conflict between Ethan and Merit. I love how she stands up for herself even when it is completely rash and stupid to do so. The sexual tension that rolls off of Ethan...oh my! I love that, but in true UF form, I almost want that to stay as unrequited. I am torn because I think that he is too much for Merit....at least right now.

I love that her uncle is the Ombudsmen and the "in" that gives her in the city. I love Catcher and the mystery behind his magic and why exactly he was cast out. I love Morgan and really like how quickly he and Merit hit it off. I could be happy with them together. I love Jeff and how they all see him as some computer nerd, but the nymphs were all totally into him. I laugh at Mallory, but sometimes have issues with her. Something about her just doesn't sit right with me and that may be because she is with Catcher. I don't see that as a good relationship long-term. I'd rather see him interested in Merit. And Lindsey is simply a riot...LOVE her enthusiasm for everything. Luke is awesome (yes, I have a little bit of a soft side for the cowboy...and really hope that Lindsey eventually gives him a chance.)

I really just loved all these characters and the story. I thought that it was incredibly well-done. I have debated between an A- all the way up to an A+ on this story and cannot think of a single thing that would make this book better. I know that there is some serious upheaval coming in this series. WAY before I started reading it, I was hearing the rumblings. That makes me nervous, but I am ready to jump into the next book....now I just need it to ship faster because I am reading that one, rather than listening to it. We will see if I like the books as well when I am reading them rather than listening to them.

2 comments:

BookaholicCat said...

I agree completely with you, audiobooks make you appreciate a book better.
I'm glad you like this book, I love this series even though I don't like Ethan much.

Julie said...

I am stalking your Chicagoland Vampires reviews now. lol I totally agree with your review for this one. That is pretty much all I have to say about this. On to book two!