Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Kiss of the Vampire by Cynthia Garner

Title:  Kiss of the Vampire
Author: Cynthia Garner
My Rating: B

Genre: Paranormal Suspense
Series: Warriors of the Rift #1
Main Characters: Nix & Tobias
Release Date: February 2012
ISBN: 9780446585118
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy

I received a copy of this book from the publisher and NetGalley in return for an honest review.


Story Overview:
Warriors of the Rift 


Once a generation, the rift between the paranormal world and the human world opens, allowing supernatural entities to cross. Vampire, demon, or shapeshifter, they can save the world-or send it spiraling into chaos.< 


Half-demon, half-human, Nix de la Fuente is accepted by neither and mistrusted by both. Determined to prove she's more human than not, she devotes herself to solving crimes between the world's mortals and its most unsavory undead. But her latest case brings her face to face with the one vampire she could never resist . . . 


Called in to investigate a string of violent murders, special agent Tobias Caine isn't interested in rekindling his relationship with Nix. Yet one look and the vampire knows his need for her is as strong as ever. Once, their all-consuming passion nearly cost Nix her fragile hold on her humanity. Now, as their hunger for one another intensifies, exposing them to an unimaginable danger, it could cost them both their lives.

My Review:

For simply the entertainment value of this read, this book rated very high for me. I loved both Nix and Tobias' characters and I loved their romantic story line. The history of their ill-fated love affair was gorgeous. I loved the fact that they are both still in love with each other regardless of the fact that they broke up 5 years ago. I liked the story of the conflict with Nix being half-demon/half-human and that being around Tobias put her demon half at odd with her human half to the point where it threatened Nix's sanity. I like the relationship (both of them) between these characters and Dante. Even though he is human, I loved what he added to the story and that he wasn't automatically a hindrance with their investigation because he isn't as strong as the preternatural beings.

When it came to the story, I liked pretty much everything about this book. What I didn't like though was the basis for the entire world upon which the book was built. I understand that the vampire/paranormal market is saturated and everyone is trying to find a creative new way to present their vampire stories. But I just didn't really enjoy the way that the basis for this supernatural world was created. In this world, the preternatural beings are aliens, most of them criminal aliens, who have been banned here as punishment. When they come across the rift, they occupy a body and make it their own. So not only are most of them (Tobias excluded...he came to earth chasing a criminal as a law enforcer) criminals, but they are also body snatchers. And they wonder at the not-so-friendly reception that humankind has given them since they discovered the truth about these beings? With those facts, I just have a hard time wanting to like all these preternatural characters, regardless of who they are in the story line.

BUT, if I ignore all those facts that I just stated above, and pretend ignorance about the details of how the preternatural beings came to be on earth, this book is really good. Do you see my conundrum? Overall, I did really enjoy this book. There is great chemistry between Nix, Tobias, and Dante as their friend. As investigators, they make a great team with some really entertaining and funny scenes which is especially surprising with the gruesome murders that they are investigating. The suspense line was great and the resolution to the romantic conflict was a complete surprise. I do plan to read Dante's book, Secret of the Wolf, simply because I did enjoy Dante's character so much.

It should be noted that Dante is human, Nix was born on earth, and Tobias came to earth as a law enforcement agent and not as a criminal. His only crime is the body-snatching part of the transition into earth, so the issues that I have with this preternatural world hardly apply to the main characters in this book. I assume that won't stay the case though as we move further into the series. It will be interesting to see if my offense over it stays especially if all the books read as good as this one did.

3 comments:

Felicia Sparks said...

I am seriously thinking about getting this one down the line! It looks to be a good start to the series but I might wait on book 2.

Aurian said...

Very nice review, no idea if I would feel the same way you do until I read it myself.

Aurian said...

Have forgotten to mention earlier, what an ugly cover!