Friday, February 17, 2012

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Title:  Cinder
Author: Marissa Meyer
My Rating: A


Genre: YA- Paranormal Romance 
Series: Lunar Chronicles #1
Main Characters: Cinder & Kai
Release Date: January 2012
ISBN: 978-0312641894
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: g-rated


Story Overview:
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .
Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

My Review:
I read this book as part of our Chick Lits Book Club. I had seen the hype around the book when it first came out and was intrigued, but not enough to add it to my TBR. As a result, I was pretty excited when it was chosen as our book club read for February. I am even more so now. This book was so good and I NEED to chat with someone about it.


Easily put, Marissa Meyer is absolutely brilliant. She took the classic Cinderella story and perfectly translated it into an incredibly creative and unique book that was so entertaining. 


In this world, which is set far into the future (after WW4,) Cinder is a cyborg, although she manages to hide that fact for the most part. She was hurt in an explosion at the age of 11 and they had to implant the cyborg parts. She doesn't remember her life from before the implants. Cyborgs are second-class citizens. There is lots going on in this world, but at the forefront is a horrible plague that is spreading which has no cure. It was that plague which caused her adoptive father to die and for her to be left with an unloving mother/guardian and two sisters. Cinder is a mechanic and the sole means of support for the family, but that doesn't keep her guardian from abusing her mentally.


Prince Kai comes into the story when he brings his android to her market stall to be repaired. No one knows that he is there. His father, the emperor, has contracted the plague and is dying. Kai is dealing with a lot of stresses in his life as he faces the death of his father and becoming ruler at the young age of 19. Facing a probable forced marriage to the Queen of the Lunar planet is adding to that stress. Of course, you know the story of Cinderella, so you can see where this is going...and yes, there is a ball coming up within a week after they meet.


There have been so many reviews written about this book that I don't want to rehash, but what is amazing to me about it is that there are still a TON of unresolved issues at the end... a TON! There is no HEA to this book. But I didn't feel like we are left hanging. I thought how the book ended was perfect. Do I want to read the next book? Absolutely! I am so excited to see where this series goes and how it does all become resolved, but I wasn't left with that unsettled, unsatisfied feeling that so many series books leave you with. Ultimately, I thought that the book was brilliantly written and I can guarantee you that I will not be debating the purchase of the next three books. I recommend this one!

1 comment:

Chloe Jacobs said...

I've been wanting to read this book too! Thanks for the review. Not I'm certain I have to pick it up :)