Monday, February 20, 2012

Cat Burglar in Training by Shelley Munro

Title:  Cat Burglar in Training
Author: Shelley Munro
My Rating: C+


Genre: Romantic Suspense
Series: -
Main Characters: Eve & Kahu
Release Date: February 2012
ISBNe-book
Publisher: Carina Press  

Links to Purchase:


Sexual Intensity: spicy

I received a copy of this book from the publisher and NetGalley in return for an honest review.



Story Overview:

Eve Fawkner had no intention of following in her father's footsteps. But when the thugs harassing him to repay his gambling debts threaten her young daughter, Eve is forced to assume the role of London's most notorious cat burglar, The Shadow. The plan is simple: pull off a couple of heists, pay back the goons and go into permanent retirement. But things get messy during her first job when Eve witnesses a murder, stumbles across a clue that sheds some light on her past and, worst of all, falls for a cop.
Inspector Kahu Williams would be the perfect man, if Eve were looking, and if there wasn't the little matter of their career conflict. The man is seriously hot—and hot on the trail of a murderer. A trail that keeps leading him back to Eve...
Previously published as The Shadow, newly refreshed by the author.
87,000 words



My Review:
C+ spicy
There was a time in my life when my romance reading contained entirely Regency era historical romances. This book reminded me so much of those, even though it is a modern day, contemporary novel. This book takes place in England and features a family of cat burglars. Cat burglars who find their targets through the social whirl of the upper echelon of London society. The first quarter of this book especially read a lot like a historical novel, and just to be clear, I was not thrilled with that. Finally, though, this book did start to settle into a contemporary feeling suspense novel and started to pick up for me.

There was a lot of this book which was completely unbelievable. But it still managed to keep my attention and keep me entertained. I lived in England for two years which both hurt and helped my enjoyment of this novel. It helped just because I got to revisit those memories of visiting the local pubs and the neighborhoods in London that I loved. It hurt when it came to insider knowledge about how difficult, and expensive, it is to drive and park in those same neighborhoods of London (hello, congestion charges anyone?)

I had a hard time believing the cat burglar story line, but at the same time, when I set aside my doubts about it, I found it to be entertaining. I liked the romance between Eve, the family cat-burglar, and Kahu, the police detective from New Zealand. I enjoyed the tension of their relationship, both sexually and just the stress of the fact that they are on opposite sides of the law. It was a fabulous conflict for the story. The resolution at the end was a little too neat, but it kept me guessing. I had a few clues of what was going to happen, but certainly not to the full extent of what actually did happen.

Who would I recommend this book too? I think that there are enough historical undertones that historical readers would enjoy the crossover aspect of this book. It is a contemporary romantic suspense, but with just a few slight  modifications it could just as easily be a victorian era historical novel. As such, I think that it would make a good transition novel for historical readers who want to move into reading more contemporary.

No comments: