Saturday, January 21, 2012

Night is Darkest by Jayne Rylon


Title:  Night is Darkest
Author: Jayne Rylon
My Rating: B


Genre: Erotic Romance
Series: Men In Blue #1
Main Characters: Lacey, Mason, & Tyler
Release Date: November 2009
ISBNe-book
Publisher: Samhain
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: erotic


Story Overview:

Some secrets refuse to stay hidden.
Lacey Daughtry-s perfect weekend is interrupted by tragic news of her brother-s murder in the line of duty. Plagued by a rash of mysterious phone calls, she turns to her brother-s best friends and fellow officers for protection-and comfort.
Spending time in close contact with Mason and Tyler, the two men she-s dreamed of since her first girlhood crush, seems like the answer to a prayer. Especially when they begin to explore the desire she-s harbored for so long.
But the partners are holding out on Lacey. Determined to suppress the most extreme facets of their lust, they agree to settle for sharing the woman they crave while concealing their desire for each other. Until Lacey cracks their resolve, unleashing a torrent of emotions that threatens to distract them when they can least afford it.
Their blossoming relationship is complicated by secrets. And the only way to evade the killer threatening their lives is to bare their souls in the darkest hours of the night. Or everything will come crashing down, just before the dawn.
Warning: After reading this book you-ll never look at a pair of hot cops, a cemetery or a can of Spaghetti-O-s the same way again.

My Review:
This is a hot, full-length erotic read. It is also a pretty decent suspense novel. For me, though, the appeal of the novel came from the relationship between these three. Mason and Tyler have been best friends for ages. They have also been lovers, but no one realizes that besides them. They were brought together through their mutual love for Lacey, but as the younger sister as one of their other friends, it was a hands-off policy for her. But when her older brother is murdered, Lacey needs the comfort from his and her friends and these guys step up. The issue is...they think that Lacey is an innocent and want to keep it that way. They don't want to expose her to their wild ways, so the guys break off their romance so that Tyler can romance Lacey. They don't realize that her fantasies and emotions fully involve BOTH of them.
In the midst of all that complication is the search for Rob's murderer and a prisoner up for parole who is making Lacey's life miserable. That's where the suspense comes in....and it was entertaining, if not quite as good on the suspense as I hoped. That was probably what knocked the rating down the most on this book. The suspense just didn't quite live up to what I'd hoped. 
But overall, this was a HIGHLY entertaining and erotic read. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I am so glad that I already have books #2 and #3 on my Kindle waiting for me to find time to read them. I promise that will happen SOON!!!

4 comments:

Aurian said...

Nope, erotica is not my kind of book, just skimming the review. Glad you enjoyed it so much.

Paperback Daydreamer said...

Great review Christi. I'm interested to see what books 2 and 3 hold before I decide if I'll give this series a shot at some point. I have noticed that I've only read one erotica and it was a novella...so I might need to try one that is actually full length to see if the relationships are developed better.

Joli @ Actin' Up with Books said...

Holy crap, this book is hot! A little too hot - Tyler and Masonm whew! I stepped out of my comfort zone for sure but your review made me want to read it. This isn't a book that I would have found on the many YA blogs I follow which makes me so glad that I follow a variety of blogs. Thanks for featuring it on your blog and introducing me to a new author.

Christi Snow said...

Yay, Joli! I am so glad that you enjoyed it. I love that you bought it based upon my review and now have a new author to follow. Jayne's writing is fabulous! This is definitely NOT a YA novel...hehe!! smiles...