Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Merzetti Effect by Norah Wilson

Title: The Merzetti Effect
Author: Norah Wilson
My Rating: A

Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: Vampire Romance #1
Main Characters: Delano & Ainsley
Release Date: June 2011
Publisher: Norah Wilson

ISBN: e-book

Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

I received a copy of the book from the author in return for an honest review.


Story Overview:
Delano Bowen has been a medical doctor for a very long time. More than 170 years, in fact. For much of that time, he’s been searching for a way to reverse the curse foisted on him by a vampress who sought to own him. With the emergence of medical technology, he now also aims to develop a vaccine to protect the vulnerable from predation by rogue vampires. After a century of searching, he thinks he's found the key to his vaccine – a surviving descendent of the Merzetti family. The Merzettis were virtually hunted to extinction over the years by rogue vampires who feared the anti-vampirism properties in their blood. 

A foundling, nurse Ainsley Crawford has no idea that she carries a genetic gift, and Delano aims to keep it that way. He must keep her close, and ignorant, for he can leave nothing to chance. He manipulates events to ensure her unwitting cooperation. But when Delano's arch enemy Radak Janecek mounts an all-out assault to destroy Delano and the fruits of his research, Delano is forced to draw Ainsley even closer to protect her. Inevitably, the attraction that has sparked between them from the first flares hot and urgent. Ainsley sees no reason why that attraction shouldn't be consummated, but Delano knows succumbing to it is not just ill-advised; it could literally be the death of him.

My Review:

When I was contacted by the author to review her vampire novels, I wasn't sure what to expect. What I did not expect was to fall completely in love with this book. Wow, this book was really, REALLY good!

I would classify this novel as a paranormal suspense and, as such, it is action-packed. From the first scene, you are drawn into the story line and it literally doesn't let you go until you hit the very end of the book. I literally did not want to put this book down once I started it.

Ainsley is a nurse that has been tricked into helping Delano with his medical research. There are so many secrets that he is keeping from her that are slowly revealed. I loved the way that Ainsley reacted. Every time with each reveal, she was sent mentally reeling, but she simply picked herself back up and worked with the facts until she could deal with them. She is a strong character. But at the same time, she feels very deeply. She has compassion and empathy. I loved her ability to analyze the issues at hand and work within and around her emotional response to whatever was happening. And this poor girl has a TON thrown at her in a very short time.

On the other hand is Delano. He is keeping so many secrets and knows that it is morally wrong to be tricking Ainsley the way that he is. But he is willing to do so for the greater good, and he is sure that his vampire vaccine falls into that realm. Even without the morality issues, there are medical issues keeping these two apart regardless of their undeniable connection. When things finally come to a head between these two, all that simmering sexual chemistry is seriously HOT! I really liked the way that this part of the story was written...all the way around, but especially with their inexplicable connection. That part of the story REALLY worked for me.

The third main character in this story is Eli...former soldier who works for Delano as anything from bodyguard to nurse. I loved the voice of reason that he added to the story in all aspects...from their relationship to their security moves. I loved the charm of his character and how he pushed Delano. I really hope that Norah considers writing his story someday because I would REALLY love to see him get his HEA.

Overall, this was a fantastic read. I loved the premise with the Merzetti blood line. It's really creative and the entire book was highly entertaining and incredibly written. The suspense was perfect and the twist...nope, I soooo did not see that coming...literally gasping out loud. This is definitely an author that I am going to keep my eye on. Now I am off to read book #2 in this series...

3 comments:

Felicia Sparks said...

Oh Eli sounds like a wonderful character---with his voice of reason :) Delano and Ainsley also sound like they were well matched.

Great Review!

Aurian said...

Great review! I want it.

Paperback Daydreamer said...

Fantastic review, as always Christi! I'm glad you gave this one a chance...sometimes it does feel like there are just TONS of vampire books out there but I LOVE how they have their own unique quirks to them! Can't wait to see your review of book #2!