Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Deadly Pursuit by Nina Croft



Title:  Deadly Pursuit
Author: Nina Croft
My Rating: A

Genre: Paranormal Suspense
Series: A Blood Hunter  #2
Main Characters: Alex & Jon
Release Date: December 2011
ISBN978-1937044893
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
Breaking assassin Jonathon Decker out of a maximum security prison on Trakis One seemed like a good idea at the time. Now, pursued across space by the two most powerful factions in the universe, the crew of El Cazador are having second thoughts. They’d like to give him back. Unfortunately, that no longer seems an option.

Jon is used to working alone. Now, he’s stuck on the space cruiser El Cazador until he can work out just what he’s supposed to know that puts him on everybody’s most-wanted-dead list. He’s not happy that the crew includes a runaway priestess with designs on his virtue—such as it is. Jon likes women, but he gave up the role of protector a long time ago, and Alexia, High Priestess of the Church of Everlasting Life, is an accident waiting to happen.

After twenty-four excruciatingly boring years of doing her duty, Alex is finally having some fun. She never meant to run away—it was a rash impulse—and she means to go back—eventually. But first, she’s going to squeeze enough excitement out of the situation to last her a lifetime. And what could be more exciting than a stunningly gorgeous werewolf?

Meanwhile, the Church are chasing their missing priestess, and the Collective are pursuing their escaped assassin. Being hunted has never been more deadly…or more fun.



My Review:
Deadly Pursuit is book 2 of this absolutely WONDERFUL Sci-fi series!!! I don't think that you have to read book #1 in this series, Break Out, to be able to enjoy this book, but I do think that it will help you understand the world and the characters better. Also, right now that book is only $.99 for the e-book so you can't go wrong with that price!


This book is about Jon. He is a werewolf that was broken out of prison at the last of book #1. I don't watch True Blood, but the entire time I read this book, I envisioned Jon looking like Joe Magnalio (I don't think that hurt my enjoyment of this book...not, one little bit!)
Ever since the mass-masacre of his pack, Jon has been a loner and assassin. He was hired to kill one of the leaders of the Collective, but something is fishy about that assassination which resulted in his break-out by the crew of the El Cazador. Now the entire crew is being targeted by the Collective for capture and assassination.

To complicate matters, there has been a young boy, Al, who has been hiding on the El Cazador for three months posing as a 14 yo cabin boy. In truth, Al is the Lady Alexia, the high priestess for the Church and she is 24 yo. She is not happy within the Church and knows that she will have to return soon, but she has no life and wants to do some "living" before she returns. Part of that living includes bedding the seriously sexy, brooding Jon.

There is a lot of action and adventure in this book. Lots of emotions and some serious sexual tension. Overall, OMG, I LOVED THIS BOOK!!! This is reading at it's very best. Completely entertaining and definitely a book that I didn't want to put down once I started it. 

I loved both backstories for Alex and Jon. Neither one of them have had easy lives. They are so completely different though, but it works. He's this gruff, huge guy that doesn't like to get attached to anything or anyone. He just wants to be left alone, although he longs for the days when he had his pack to back him up. Werewolves and vampires have traditionally HATED each other and are natural enemies. When Jon first joins the ship, Rico and him clash constantly. One of the absolute best things about this book was watching their friendship develop and grow. There's a great bromance here! I love their heart-to-hearts especially about Alex. 

And Alex...whoa! She has been completely sheltered and raised within the Church her entire life. She doesn't let that color the world around her though. She thinks with her own head and is her own person. She knows what she wants and isn't afraid to go after it. I loved the scenes where she became this kick-ass chick....so much fun!!

Like I said, I loved this book and honestly, I love this series!! I HIGHLY recommend it. I cannot wait for book #3 which I am thinking will be Tannis' book (the El Cazador captain) and the hints that we've already seen about it, point to the fact that it's going to be another really fabulous adventure!

6 comments:

Felicia Sparks said...

I am going to have to get book 1! Holy heck fire!

Paperback Daydreamer said...

Great review Christi...and thinking of Joe Magnalio...I'm surprised you loved the book as much as you did. :-P Ok, so I'm completely lying there because he's freaking sexy! Rawr. *Drooling* Overall, this series does sound great, I just don't know when I'll ever be able to read it. :-( But .99 for book one is kinda hard to pass up!

Vanessa theJeepDiva said...

I read & liked book #1. By your review #2 seems like its better than the first. I may have to move forward with this series & read the 2nd. Very curious bout Jon now...

Christi Snow said...

Vanessa, I loved both books, but definitely thought that book #2 was better. I just am really liking this series so far! smiles...

Aurian said...

Another A, wow. This sure sounds different and original, I like that.

Norah Wilson said...

Wow, this sounds like a book I just have to read! Thanks!