Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Bro-Magnet by Lauren Baratz-Logsted

Title: The Bro-Magnet
Author: Lauren Baratz-Logsted
My Rating: A+

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: -
Main Characters: Johnny & Helen
Release Date: December 2011
Publisher: The Knight Agency
ISBN: e-book
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: mild



I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in return for an honest review.

Story Overview:
Women have been known to lament, "Always a bridesmaid, never a bride." For Johnny Smith, the problem is, "Always a Best Man, never a groom." At age 33, housepainter Johnny has been Best Man eight times. The ultimate man's man, Johnny loves the Mets, the Jets, his weekly poker game, and the hula girl lamp that hangs over his basement pool table. Johnny has the instant affection of nearly every man he meets, but one thing he doesn't have is a woman to share his life with, and he wants that desperately. When Johnny meets District Attorney Helen Troy, he decides to renounce his bro-magnet ways in order to impress her. With the aid and advice of his friends and family, soon he's transforming his wardrobe, buying throw pillows, ditching the hula girl lamp, getting a cat and even changing his name to the more mature-sounding John. And through it all, he's pretending to have no interest in sports, which Helen claims to abhor. As things heat up with Helen, the questions arise: Will Johnny finally get the girl? And, if he's successful in that pursuit, who will he be now that he's no longer really himself? THE BRO-MAGNET is a rollicking comedic novel about what one man is willing to give up for the sake of love.


My Review:


There are books that make you happy to be a reader. This is one of those books. I cannot tell you the last time when I laughed out loud as much as I did while reading this book. It is charming. It is honest. It is so incredibly sweet. At the heart of the story is a guy...you know, that guy. The one that annoys all girls around because he is just such an idiot. This story is about that guy trying so hard not to be "that guy" because he wants to win the girl's heart. It is so funny and irreverent and sweet. I really, really loved reading it.


The book is told entirely from Johnny's point of view and he realizes that he has issues. He's 33 and has never been in a real relationship. His mother died giving birth to him (he was a 13 lb baby) so, as he was growing up, it was just him and his dad. Guys love him, but he simply exasperates women. The problem is, he wants to be married. He sees his guy friends that are totally whupped and at the same time that he is mocking them, he REALLY wants what they have. He just has no idea how to get it.


There is a huge cast of characters in this. All of them offering advice...some of it helpful, but most of it really is not and simply yields hilarious results. My favorite has to be his BFF, Sam, who just happens to be a girl...a lesbian who is just as bad at relating to women as he is. As they navigate the world of buying throw pillows and learning the characters on General Hospital, I was rolling because I was laughing so hard.


This book is so different from every other romance I have ever read and that is saying a LOT with as much as I read. I have no doubt that is why that this author has self-pubbed this book. But trust me on this...this book is so good.


I love Johnny. He is trying so hard and is so earnest in becoming someone that Helen could fall for, but he cares so much that he is honestly becoming that sweet, considerate guy that you can't help fall in love with...because he is falling in love with her. He's a smart guy. He almost went to law school, but his dad wanted him to take over the family painting business when he graduated from college. Everything about this book was good. I especially LOVED the way that the story ended...so sweet and just perfect especially with the way that the story started. Bravo to this author! It's still early yet, but I think that this one may end the year as one of my top picks!

3 comments:

Felicia Sparks said...

Oh I am going to have to get this book. I always wondered if guys felt the same way ;)

Paperback Daydreamer said...

This is so freaking exciting! So I saw this book up on Netgalley yesterday and I've still been thinking about it! I'm so happy that you enjoyed it and that it was such a funny read because you've given me the push I needed to go request it on there. If I don't get the chance through NG to read it I'll still go out on Amazon and find it and make sure to read it! So happy you enjoyed it so terribly much and I'm excited to read it even more now than I was yesterday!

Aurian said...

Okay, I want this one! Sounds so fun and just great and awesome.