Friday, December 30, 2011

Scrumptious by Amanda Usen



Title: Scrumptious
Author: Amanda Usen
My Rating: B-

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: -
Main Characters: Joe and Marly
Release Date: January 2012
Publisher: Sourcebooks
ISBN978-1402259821
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

I received a copy of this book from the publisher and NetGalley in return for an honest review.

Story Overview:
Joe Rafferty is just as mouthwatering as the food he cooks. But if he thinks he's going to waltz in and take over her kitchen, he's denser than a thick slice of chocolate ripple cheesecake. Marly has invested too much of her life in Chameleon to hand off the restaurant to someone else—especially a cocky-as-all-get-out superstar chef. But there's no denying the man knows how to light her fire. Question is: Can she have the sizzle without feeling the burn?

My Review:
There were aspects of this book that I really loved. I loved the restaurant setting with the craziness that happens in the kitchen. I loved that BOTH Marly & Joe are players when it comes to sex. Usually in romance novels, it's just the guy be who can have blase sex. I liked the honesty of both Marly and Joe's attitudes. 

But there were other aspects that just didn't quite work for me. At about the 3/4 mark, I felt like the conflict between the H/h (the fact that they just want sex with no commitment) had been drug out for too long. I wasn't buying it as a valid entity at that point. I also didn't like the resolution with the restaurant and the owner's ex.  That whole scene just seemed a little too contrite for me, but that could have been because I was losing patience with the novel at that point rather than an actual issue within the story. 

Overall, I enjoyed this book. The details about the inner-workings of a restaurant kitchen were done brilliantly without bogging down the story at all which was amazing to me, because there is a lot of detail in this book about cooking, prep work, and how a kitchen staff flows within a restaurant. I liked both of the main characters and really liked how they initially came together. The other main character in the book is Olivia, the owner of the restaurant. Her character had issues and I am not sure how much of that was problems with defining her character or that is just the way that she is....seriously a wishy-washy character that drove me insane the last 1/4 of the book.

If this book had been resolved and ended at the 3/4 mark, I think that I would have rated it much higher. I was entertained and enjoying it up to that point, but then it just started to drag out for me. I will definitely be watching this author for more to come though, because I did enjoy her voice and creativity.

1 comment:

Aurian said...

Not sure if I would like this book myself. Although I have a weakness for chefs.