Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern



Title: The Night Circus
Author: Erin Morgenstern
My Rating: A-

Genre: General Fiction (Historical)
Series: -
Main Characters: Celia & Marco
Release Date: September 2011
Publisher: Knopf Doubleday
ISBN978-0385534635
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: mild

Story Overview:
The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is calledLe Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night.
But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love—a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.
True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus per­formers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead.
Written in rich, seductive prose, this spell-casting novel is a feast for the senses and the heart.

My Review:


You all know the kind of books that I read by now. The Night Circus is not one of those books...LOL! I read purely for entertainment purposes, and while this book was most definitely entertaining, it was also highly cerebral. This is one of those books that make you think. There is so much to this book and going on within this book and the entire thing is gorgeously written. It's a visual feast within a book.

The book is about two magicians/illusionists in the late 1800's, Celia & Marco. From the time that they were very young, they have been in training and competition to see which one creates the best illusions. The platform for their competition is the Night Circus although no one is aware of that besides the two illusionists and the two men that originally placed the bet over the competition. For a long time throughout the competition, Celia isn't even aware of who she is competing against although she feels a deep connection to him through his creations within the circus.

The Night Circus is a circus that starts up after dark and runs all throughout the night hours. The circus is not a normal circus. The entire thing has a black and white color scheme and it gets just more and more extremely artsy from there. You can tell that this entire idea comes from an extremely creative and artistic mind when reading it. The circus is made up of different tents for different attractions, but none of the attractions are what you would consider normal to a traditional circus. Easily the most non-traditional attractions are those that are created by the two magicians. They are magical in the truest sense of the word and reading about these attractions are just beautiful, even though you can only visit them in your mind.

This book is full of symbolism and layers of meaning. I think that I could read it a dozen different times, and still would find surprises within the text and the different characters. And there are a ton of different characters...with so many different personalities and quirks. The book is written so that you are constantly jumping backwards and forwards within the timeline. You are also constantly jumping between easily a dozen points of view or more. You would think that this would make it confusing, but it actually helps you to keep all the different characters and personalities straight in your mind.

It really is truly a beautifully written book and never fear, because there is a romance to it too. It's one of those books that makes you feel better for reading it, but this is where my true confession comes in. I can recognize and acknowledge that this author is brilliant and so amazingly creative that it makes me wonder how I ever think I can actually write. But that being said, this book still only scored a B+ or A- for me. Why? Because I read for entertainment. I don't read to make me think and as sad as it is (and quite honestly, I should be ashamed to admit it,) I truly enjoy my normal everyday reads so much more. I like to read a book like this every once in a while just to expand my horizons, but this is not where my reading passion comes from. Try not to think poorly of me because of my confession, okay?

2 comments:

Aurian said...

Sounds very good, but not my thing.

Felicia Sparks said...

Can't wait to listen to this on audible...I think it is number 10 on my list :)