Sunday, December 4, 2011

Immortal Rider by Larissa Ione


Title: Immortal Rider
Author: Larissa Ione
My Rating: A+


Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: Lords of Deliverance #2
Main Characters: Arik & Limos
Release Date: November 2011

ISBN: 978-0446574471
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
The signs are everywhere...disastrous world events. Evil rising up, unleashed upon the innocent. The prophecies were there...but no one listened. Until now. The time has come for those who can either usher in Doomsday...or prevent it. They are here. They ride. The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
Arik Wagner, a soldier with the U.S. Army's paranormal unit, the R-XR, kissed a girl and liked it. And then he went to hell as punishment. Where he's spent weeks being tortured...and plotting revenge.
Limos, Horsewoman of the Apocalypse, isn't your average girl. She's immortal, dangerous, and her fiancé is Satan himself. In a moment of weakness, she gave in to her desire and kissed Arik, triggering her fiancé's wrath - and his claim on her. In order to save Arik, and the world, Limos must make a dangerous pact with her recently turned evil brother, Pestilence. A deal that might just cost her her soul...and her heart.

My Review:
I have said it before and I will say it again…Larissa Ione is absolutely one of the best story tellers of this generation. She creates huge magnificent worlds full of characters that you normally would hate, but she makes them human and sympathetic and you can’t help but to fall in love with them.

This is one of those books. Limos is one of the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse. She is betrothed to Satan and wears his chastity belt to ensure her purity. That chastity belt becomes a weapon if anyone comes near it…a weapon that shreds her and dismembers the person coming near it. It’s a good deterrent. Satan is also the jealous type so when Arik kisses Limos, unaware of her betrothal, he is dragged down to Hell where he is continually tortured and healed for months.

Obviously, theirs is an impossible relationship, but OMG, Larissa did it. She manages to make it work. Every. Single. Time. As a reader I sit there thinking that there is absolutely NO WAY she is going to write herself out of this one, but she always does. It’s writing genius.

The other side to her genius is the way that she creates these characters who, when you think about it, really don’t have many redeeming qualities, but she makes you fall in love with them. You empathize with them and eventually you cheer for their HEA. Limos is definitely one of these characters. She is physically addicted to lying and gets a pure thrill out of doing it. She has deceived her brothers which has caused all sorts of issues, but Larissa makes it so that she is human. You understand why she did what she did and you feel empathy for her. It’s really an incredible skill!

I adored Arik. He had no idea what he was doing when he kissed Limos, but even when he is furious at what she got him into, it never once crosses his mind to betray her and her request of him. He is tortured in absolutely every way possible, but he refuses to utter her name and continues to fantasize about her. This is a guy that is true….honorable, gorgeous, and at his soul…a protector. He’s just a human and she is so not, but he still always thrusts her behind him when danger approaches. It’s really gorgeous watching him with her and handling her.


There is so much going on with this book…as is the case with all of Larissa’s books. There is no way that I can talk about it all. But I just have to mention there are several different side stories going on…

*Reaver- OMG, *sob*, his story in this one broke my heart.

*Harvester- I have a feeling that she’s a future heroine just because she is so irredeemable right now and that means that Larissa will make her awesome sometime later.

*Thanatos & Regan- their book is next and OMG, it is going to be another scorcher!!! Another impossible couple that I know that Larissa will work her magic with…

*Tavin- I really am falling in love with this Seminus demon. We have seen him a couple of times (I think he was in Sin’s book too) and I definitely think that he needs his own story!

This book was another AMAZING installment to this fabulous series. You know, it’s funny, I usually HATE having to wait 6 months to a year for the next book in the series, but with these I enjoy it because I know that the book is going to be well worth the wait and I enjoy the anticipation. I can honestly say that this is the only series that I feel that way about, so that says a HUGE thing about how much I love these books! Larissa Ione ROCKS!!

2 comments:

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

I have only read one book by her (but I have several)---I am going to have to fix that in 2012!

Julie said...

Okay. I am only about 55% through this book but I read your review anyways. I agree with you about Larissa's writing chops. Just insane amazing. I agree with all your little character round-ups at the end. Harvester, I hate her. She is so going to be Pestilence's heroine isn't she? lol I am not sure how I am feeling about Limos but I am really enjoying Arik. A lot. Okay, I think that's all I have to say. ;)