Friday, December 23, 2011

Icecapade by Josh Lanyon


Title: Icecapade
Author: Josh Lanyon
My Rating: A+

Genre: Contemporary Romance (m/m)
Series: -
Main Characters: Noel & Robert
Release Date: December 2010
Publisher: Carina Press
ISBN
e-book
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy (m/m)

Story Overview:
On the eve of the new millennium, diamond thief Noel Snow seduced FBI special agent Robert Cuffe, then fled into the dawn. Now a successful novelist, Noel uses his capers as fodder for his books, and has modeled his hero's nemesis (and potential love interest) on Cuffe. Though he leaves Robert a drunken phone message every New Year's Eve, Noel hasn't seen or heard from him in a decade.
So he's thrilled when his former lover shows up at his upstate farm one Christmas Eve. Elation quickly turns to alarm when Robert accuses Noel of being responsible for a recent rash of diamond heists. Robert is all business and as cold as ice: it seems his only interest in Noel is to put him behind bars.
Innocent of the crimes, and still as attracted as ever to the oh-so-serious lawman, Noel plans a second seduction—providing he can stay out of jail long enough!



My Review:

I had never read anything from Josh Lanyon until I read Lone Star last week. I loved it so much, I had to look up his Christmas novella from last year's Carina m/m anthology. This is that novella and it was just as good as Lone Star was. I think that I am on my way to adding a new author to my auto-buy list. This novella was wonderful!

One of the things that Josh Lanyon does so well in his writing is present a relationship that has a huge dichotomy between the two heroes. In this book, the heroes are an FBI agent (Robert) and a former cat burglar (Noel.) They had one night of passion ten years ago when Robert was in the middle of trying to capture Noel. Since then, Noel has retired from his illegal activities and has written a series of very successful novels based loosely upon Robert and their antagonistic relationship as felon and investigator. But in the past ten years these two have had zero contact besides a single phone call each New Year's Eve that Noel makes to Robert's answering machine, so it is a complete surprise when Noel opens his door on Christmas Eve and finds Robert there.

This is a novella, but the entire thing is so rich with details and feelings. It totally reads like a full-length novel. I didn't feel short-changed in the depth of story at all. I became completely immersed in this romance between these two and definitely became emotionally invested in the outcome. I really liked both characters although the majority of the story is told from Noel's POV, so he is the one that you relate to the most. You all know that I love a good emotional book and Josh Lanyon definitely knows how to write emotional. This was really a gorgeous love story. Now I need to try some of his full-length novels (btw, it looks like he writes a lot of his heroes as writers...I love that!)

No comments: