Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Holiday Hideout Anthology



Title:   Holiday Hideout Anthology
Author: Anthology
My Rating: A- overall

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: -
Main Characters: anthology
Release Date: November 2011
ISBN
978-0373837625
Publisher: Harlequin
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot


I didn't realize when I bought this book that all these stories are intertwined. All three stories take place in a little rental cabin in Tahoe that has a special effect on those that visit it. They all fall in love.


The Thanksgiving Fix by Vicki Lewis Thompson
My rating for this story: A

Story Overview:
Finding Mr. Right is the furthest thing from Beth Davis's mind when the Reno professor takes Thanksgiving break at a colleague's Lake Tahoe cabin. Until Coinneach McFarland arrives to fix a suspicious leak. It looks like somebody's playing matchmaker for two people sworn to stay single. But as things heat up, Beth is astonished to find she has discovered her soul mate just as she'd given up looking.


My Review:
I really enjoyed this novella. The story is about two people, Beth and Mac, who connect on Thanksgiving Eve based upon the fact that they can commiserate that they are both so tired of people trying to fix them up. They are both very happy and fulfilled to be single and don't want any more fix-ups. What they don't realize (at first) is that their meeting is a fix-up...and it turns out to be a good one because they have unbelievable chemistry and truly have fun together.

This is one of those stories about how when you are not looking for love, then that is when it will strike. I enjoyed both Beth and Mac's characters. I really liked the twist of the fact that they both agree that they are not looking for a significant other, but then they start to change their minds as they get to know each other. Mac especially realizes that what they have is something special, but by then, they have already agreed in the no relationship rules.

I liked this one. The sexual tension was written incredibly well and it was simply a sweet little holiday story.

The Christmas Set-Up by Jill Shalvis
My rating for this story: A+


Story Overview:
Competing architects Zoe and Jason have two weeks to come up with the design to win a coveted new project. But when a snowstorm strands them together at a secluded cabin, Zoe sees her chance to show Jason how she really feels. With romance blooming under the mistletoe, can she get the gorgeous Scrooge into the true Christmas spirit?


My Review:
This story was so fabulous. Both Zoe and Jason work in the same architecture firm and are up for the same promotion. For those that work with them, it's hard to pinpoint which is stronger...the competition between the two of them or the sexual tension that they are working hard to ignore. Jason's little brother also works at the firm and he schemes with a couple other associates to bring both Zoe and Jason together so that they might have a chance to work out that sexual tension via the Tahoe cabin. It works...big time.

I loved this story. Both Zoe & Jason have very viable, but very different reasons, for why they are pursuing the promotion so hard. Jason's parents died suddenly the week before Christmas when he was 20 yo and his little brother, Mike, was 15 yo. When Jason arrives at the cabin, he wrenches a nerve in his neck that he had injured the year before in a mtn. bicycling accident. Zoe arrives to yell at Jason about something that Mike actually did and finds him incapacitated with pain and things blossom from there.

Every single aspect of this story appealed to me. I loved the story line, the competitive nature of the two, and Jason's vulnerability...both from his injury and why he doesn't celebrate Christmas. Everything about this story touched my heart and I truly loved it. Just a fabulous little piece of writing.


The New Year's Deal by Julie Kenner
My rating for this story: B-


Story Overview:
Five years ago, Cleo Daire and Josh Goodson said goodbye and went their separate ways. But first they made a promise to reunite. Now the ex-lovers are spending New Year's Eve in a romantic cabin, where passion takes them by surprise and long-wished-for dreams can sometimes come true.


My Review:
This story didn't resonate with me as much as the other two simply because I couldn't understand the heroine's (Cleo) actions. I really liked Josh and could totally get behind him and his character, but Cleo, and her justification and reasons for doing things, just didn't make any sense to me. I wanted her to want Josh as much as he wanted her and I just wasn't getting that from her actions.

Again, this story featured that sweet little cabin and I really love that twist on this anthology. Such a fun premise for all three of these novellas.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Maybe THIS is the anthology I should have read. lol

Christi Snow said...

I think that this is one that you would like, Julie. Really cute and sexy, with no schmaltz!

Felicia Sparks said...

I will probably skip this one only because I think I need to become more familiar with all these authors through longer books.