Thursday, December 8, 2011

Bad Blood by Kristen Painter


Title: Bad Blood
Author: Kristen Painter
My Rating: B-



Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: House of Comarre #3
Main Characters:Chrysabelle & Mal
Release Date: November 2011

ISBN: 978-0316084758

Publisher: Orbit
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: mild

Story Overview:
Samhain approaches, bringing with it the final melding of the mortal and othernatural worlds. No one knows just how much power the night holds...
Violent murders occur in Paradise City as counterfeit comarré are systematically hunted. The police and the Kubai Mata have more than enough trouble to keep themselves occupied. As war erupts at home, Malkolm and Chrysabelle head to New Orleans to recover the Ring of Sorrows. Chrysabelle is forced to make a life and death decision and will realize that her relationship to Malkolm may have fatal consequences.
The clock is ticking . . .

My Review:
This is one of those reviews...there was nothing wrong with this book, but I was so disappointed with it because it didn't seem to move the story forward any in this Urban Fantasy series. I love Chrysabelle and Mal and have absolutely loved this series up to this point. And while this book kept my attention, I was just hoping for more. There is one single thing that really is new, but I saw it coming way early in the book so by the time it came around in the last line of the book, I really was kind of frustrated that nothing had happened before then...and then it is still not even verified....just hinted at.

The book seemed to me to be more of a 'setting up' book. There are lots of story lines that you can see that are being set up for the future books, which is fine, but I wanted at least something new to hang on to. Even the Samhain story, which was setting up to be a huge action-packed night, seemed to fall flat to me.

Maybe I was just in the wrong mood when I read this book. I don't know. All the story lines were there, but the excitement and suspense, for me, was not. :o( I am NOT giving up on this series...just not thrilled with this particular book within the series. Crossing my fingers that I like the next one better.

3 comments:

Missie said...

Yikes. Only one new thing. That probably won't keep my attention for long. I tried the first book, but for some reason, lost interest early on. :(

I'll have to give it another try someday.

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

I am not reading this one till the next one comes out. After hearing a few people say that---I just can't bring myself to read it. I am afraid I will lose interest in the series :(

Christi Snow said...

Felicia, I haven't read any of the reviews, but I am glad to hear that it wasn't me. It wasn't bad reading. I just didn't feel like it propelled the series forward at all. I am glad that there are at least 2 more books still coming.

Really, Missie? I ADORED books 1 & 2...maybe you were just having an off day, but not all books are for everyone...
smiles!